My Anointed Grandma’s Wavering Faith?

by My Name is of No Consequence 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

A friend of mine mother in her late 80's recently got sick and now her health is failing. In the hospital she openly said in the presence of two of her children and her husband that she wished she had never studied with the witnesses.

She has seen how this cult has negatively effected two of her kids as they struggled being married to men that were useless and how she lost her blood family because they stopped talking with her after she left the family faith and tried to cram the JW faith down thier throats like most witnesses do.

• blondie
    blondie

So she doesn't qualify for hearing the meeting on the phone? A family member could sit with her.

I wonder how bad off you have to be to qualify?

• millie210
    millie210

Hi MyName, first let me say I am sorry for your loss of your grandfather. He sounds like he was a good man.

As for your grandmother, I think the upcoming Memorial and her actions will tell you a lot.

All the best to you and your grandmother.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You present a sad situation. Learning theTATT is the easy part. It gets increasing difficult, as a person gets older, to make life changes to get beyond the Watchtower. I can't imagine what a 90-year-old might do to regain her life.

• kpop
    kpop

Sorry for your loss, may he RIP.

But this news about your grandma is most excellent and I think it is very telling of what is going on in this cult.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Sorry to hear of your loss. Grief is worse, IMO, when we have no time to prepare for it.

My dad also died rather 'suddenly', and while I am glad he did not spend much time suffering, it was difficult to come to terms with.

When it comes to the old folks, I have more-or-less written them off.

It seems to me that old folks have on some level realized what's truly important and because of their limited time left, are willing to cut through all the nonsense.

I have seen this at work, but equally, this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

I am working toward abandoning any expectations of JW family, young and old. I perceive there is a kindness to letting someone's delusions persist toward the end of their life, especially when they have built an entire life around them.

I would merely let grandma set the pace of things, and follow along. Any decisions she makes are hers alone. Enjoy her company while she's there for you. If things get 'real', it might be a time for poignant questions...

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Consequence,

My condolences on the loss of your father. That really sounds like a shock.

• Irishdub
    Irishdub

OP

A funny storey I hear, was a former catholic man (and his family) converted to Watchtowerism, but in later years he became senile, put up pictures of the Pope in his house and banned all the *evil JWs* coming around to visit .. ...lmao !

• Irishdub
    Irishdub

OP

condolences on the loss of your father...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

MNIONC said, " He went in for “routine” surgery and never left the hospital. WTF?"

Did he insist on no blood? Mystery solved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit