Openly converting to another religion but not disfellowshipped

by R Franz Ferdinand III 21 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Ah, Netherlands?
  • R Franz Ferdinand III
    R Franz Ferdinand III

I guess so, polish clarinet.

I suppose this case can be labeled as a kind of implicit disassociation then.

Strange the elder's manual doesn't give any advice for situations like these. All it tells regarding false worship and the handling of it, can be found on page 65 and 66 of 'Shepherd the flock' (click here for the contents)
  • R Franz Ferdinand III
    R Franz Ferdinand III

Close, slimboyfat

• Drifting Away
    Drifting Away

Wow this is a first I ever heard. Perhaps they have some sort of mental issues, or are playing the Crazy card, and are getting a free pass.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Slacker elders in my opinion.

I think its technically a DA when you join another church like that, not sure what the elders are waiting for in that situation.

• under the radar
    under the radar

According to the Flocking the Sheep book, they won't be disfellowshipped but will be considered to have disassociated themselves, a distinction without a difference. Same announcement ("So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses") and same treatment from the faithful (shunning). Of course, some will assume they have joined some sex orgy club, or worse, but the elders are not supposed to comment further, even to clear up scandalous rumors.

• John Free
    John Free

Welcome to the forum rfr! I don't find it that strange either tbh. Here in south wales the elders seem pretty tired by their ever increasing list of 'responsibilities', I doubt they could be bothered to go chasing faders. I have noticed there seems to be a stricter stance in other parts especially the USA.

• Londo111
    Londo111

As said, it is viewed as disassociation (which is the consequences as being disfellowshipping, namely shunning) if the elders decide to go after them.

The question is why they haven't gone after them. I think John Free pinpointed a possible reason...they've are overworked. I believe quite a few elders don't actually want to play judge, jury and executioner, and sometimes will procrastinate doing so or defer their responsibility to someone else.

Of course, when the CO comes to town, he might prod the elders into action...

• Steel
    Steel

I have a friend raised as a Lutheran, who went back to being a Lutheran without any sanction after a five year fade. I think it is kind of silly to announced that so and so is no longer one of Jehovah Witnesses after they haven’t stepped into a hall in five years.

Of course he keeps it on the down low. Kind of like being gay in the military, don’t ask don’t tell. He is also the type who really wouldn’t care either and the Pharisees don’t like being shown how unimportant they really are so they just leave him alone.

• raven
    raven

Ok, this is weird.. And the elders just flat out don't seem to care? Wouldn't you think they'd be concerned that this couple would say "false things" about the orgs teaching based on their newfound religion? Hmm..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit