I just don't understand this, what am I missing???

by Greybeard 47 Replies latest jw friends

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

TD is correct.

The only difference for the JWs of the past was that they interpreted this as meaning that Jesus found the Bible Students the only ones faithfully preaching about 1914 (the time of the Master's arrival). So after "refining" them via suffering, they claimed, Jesus "raised" them to a "spiritual paradise" in 1919 to complete the work I outlined above.

The Governing Body 2.0 dismissed all this, of course.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

Thank you OneEyedJoe and TD.

When I said, I don't understand this, what am I missing? I was not clear enough. I am asking if I missed another change. My question is in regard to the fact they still keep using the term faithful and discreet slave. I only found out yesterday they finally admitted Jesus did not appoint them in 1919. That was epic to me. It is the main reason I am disfellowshipped. Is there any written explanation as to why they continue to use this term applying it to the governing body? Probably not is my guess. Like you said OneEyedJoe, "It doesn't add up. But it's convenient and most JWs are complacent enough not to question and the ones that aren't are mostly controlled by fear. If not, they end up here."

I am not confused about how they control people with propaganda, manipulation, guilt and mind control teaching commandments of men. I totally agree with everything you said and realized a long time ago that is the way things are.

So who really is the faithful and discreet slave? That question is unanswerable now. They let the cat out of the bag.

Thank you for your replies, it does help

• bohm
    bohm

Graybeard: from what i gather they think they are the fds they just havent been appointed yet over everything. Like you might be a doctor and then get promoted to head of department.

• TD
    TD
    I only found out yesterday they finally admitted Jesus did not appoint them in 1919. That was epic to me.

I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding.

You still seem to be confusing the appointment of the faithful and discreet slave with the appointment over all his (Jesus) belongings. In JW theology, those are two very, very different things

The JW's teach that the former was conferred upon the Apostles. They were to feed Jesus' sheep in his absence.

They teach that the latter would not happen until Jesus' return, provided he found someone continuing to carry out that task.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

bohm, Yes, TD is right, so are you.... I just thought maybe there was some kind of a written explanation as to why they keep using this term "faithful and discreet slave." I missed the Watchtower where they admitted they were not appointed in 1919. I would have gone to that meeting and stood up and said, "Right on! I was disfellowshipped for believing this! Can I be forgiven now?"

Wishful thinking...

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

No need to apologize TD and thank you for your replies. Maybe I am confused a bit about this. I thought the teaching was Jesus returned over 100 years ago and appointed the slave over his domestics in 1919. I did not waste my time reading the entire article, just the part where they admit they were not appointed in 1919. Maybe it is in there or maybe I just never got this point.

I think I am going cross eyed :/

Time to go get some coffee, thank you all for helping

• TD
    TD
    I thought the teaching was Jesus returned over 100 years ago and appointed the slave over his belonging in 1919.

Various Protestant groups have taught a two-stage return of Christ since about the 1830's. The JW's are one of those groups and they put their own unique spin on it. On one hand, Jesus "returns" in 1914 in the sense that he becomes invisibly present, while on the other hand there is separate "coming" in the sense of coming for judgement. It is very confusing....

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

Thank you TD, It is very confusing.

I have a confession, the thing that bothers me the most is something I said to my oldest son who is a elder now and a very good person. I had just purchased some nice recording equipment and I was working on my music. Missing a lot of meetings, rarely going at the time. Drinking to much and partying. I felt so guilty because I still believed it was the "truth" in my heart. I just couldn't live up to it at the time. I just finished going through a divorce and remarriage and all kinds of mixed emotions. I never was a elder or servant, I was the confessionist. I had been through a number of elder meetings but never disfellowshipped just publicly reproved at the time. I couldn't bring myself to go through another elders meeting and it was impossible for me to go and fake it. I told my oldest son who at the time was only about 12 or 13... I told him I was worried about myself and if I ever leave the organization do not follow me, you follow the governing body and obey what they say. If I ever get disfellowshipped do not talk to me. I take the blame for loosing my children, my family and all of it. I should have known better but I did not. Now I wish I would have taught them to question every inspired utterance. So sad but true. I often think of this clip in the movie Young Frankenstein when I recall this event. I am sure he has not forgotten my words...

This is how stupid I was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nalaY6pczpc

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

The explanation as to why they keep using the term and why they now apply this to the Governing Body only is found in The Watchtower Study Edition, July 2013, the article "Who Really Is the Faithful and Discreet Slave." This articles includes the changed explanation as to "when" they believe Christ will appoint the slave over all his domesticd, and what these include.

The previous teaching was that Christ returned in 1914, that a 3 1/2 times/years of testing of all of Christianity ended with the anointed (there was no Governing Body then) Bible Students being chosen in 1919 to be over all Christ's belongings.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What, if anything happened in 1919 then...according to current WTS thinking?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit