Jehovah's Witnesses did not protect children from abuse, inquiry finds.

by pale.emperor 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/28/jehovahs-witnesses-did-not-protect-children-from-abuse-inquiry-finds

Im printing this off and spending my next Sunday morning doing some door to door work posting this article through all the letter boxes of the street my local KH is on.

It's shocking that none of the R&F know about this. I have a feeling that the 2 witness rule will be revised in 2017 and made to look like it was Jehovah's proper time. When in fact they dont even know there's been 5 decades of cover up and a major court case forcing them to make a change.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The chickens have come home to roost!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I have a feeling that the 2 witness rule will be revised in 2017 and made to look like it was Jehovah's proper time.

I would suspect it will be a "confidential" letter to all BOE in Australia/NZ that gives new direction on handling abuse cases there. This ruling won't affect the rest of the world. This would be similar to what they have done in Canada with the blood issue or for children in the US that require a transfusion. It's more of an "off the record" exception or change.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Don't kid yourselves, guys.

The Org has given every indication so far that they will not budge on this, and damn the consequences.

From their perspective, they don't dare.

• galaxie
    galaxie

I hope these arc conclusions lead to an Increase in activism anti this despicable organization!!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I have a feeling that the 2 witness rule will be revised in 2017 and made to look like it was Jehovah's proper time. When in fact they dont even know there's been 5 decades of cover up and a major court case forcing them to make a change.

When I asked my JW sister in Puerto Rico if she was aware of The Royal Commission in Australia, and she had no idea what i was talking about.

So my guess is that the WT will take the measures they need to take in Australia, leaving the rest of the pedophiles free to do whatever they want in the rest of the world.

• just fine
    just fine

I just saw The Washington Post has this as a news article on their website........ Here's hoping more U.S. news reports come out.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Don't kid yourselves, guys.
    The Org has given every indication so far that they will not budge on this, and damn the consequences. - Vidiot

Good, because if they don't budge they're going to fall foul of the Australian government when it has perused this report.

• steve2
    steve2

Vidiot wrote:

"Don't kid yourselves, guys.

The Org has given every indication so far that they will not budge on this, and damn the consequences.

From their perspective, they don't dare".

Respectfully, I could not disagree more.

This issue is hugely different from JW rhetoric on hallmark JW doctrines and policies.

For example, adult JWs often proudly take explicit stands against blood transfusions and are individually left to face the medical consequences. By contrast, the obvious neglect of child safety in the context of sexual abuse allegations within the organization threatens to engulf the organization in huge monetary repurcussions. No amount of legal doubletalk will do them any good.

Besides, of all issues that JWs would love to go down fighting for, this is perhaps the least preferred one. It is frankly shameful.

For decades, JW organization has pilloried the churches of Christendom- Catholics in particular, over child abuse in church parishes. And now it is revealed that JW organization has been slyly hypocritical on this very issue. The Royal Commission has unearthed a high level of either "inadequate" and/or "wrong" organizational policy on responding to allegations of child sexual abuse.

Already in other countries such as Britain and the States (and now looming in Spain,) legal action against individual JWs or the organization has cost millions with no end in sight.

Never underestimate the power of Court costs and penalties to "shape" and influence religious doctrine and practice.

To be clear: This is not the issue JW organization wants to make a stand on. Preaching their variation of the good news - they'd fight and die for. Refusing blood they'd die for.

Defending inadequate and wrong policies on child protection? No way.

By way of early indications of the organization NOT doubling down, listen to Geoffrey Jackson's obsequious responses to Judge McClleland during the hearing in July 2015 and now, listen to an Australian JW spokesman quoted in the Australian media who speaks very mildly about the organization "wanting to learn".

Yes, the scene is set for a re-thinking of JW organization's approach to child safety.

Stay tuned in 2017.

• Life is to short 2
    Life is to short 2

Steve 2 I really hope your right. From what I have seen here in the state's they are not backing down at all. I just had a CO in July tell me pedophiles will go in service period and no one in the hall is allowed to know. he was so arrogant and so proudfull he actually had his chest puffed out.

I just can't see it ever changing though I wish with all my strength it would.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit