Watchtower and Theseus' Paradox

by jwabuse.com 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwabuse.com
    jwabuse.com

Came across this today researching something for work, and thought it was an interesting thought when applied to WT. With so many fundamental changes and revisions, can they even be correctly viewed as what they are perceived as by active JWs? If your baptism was an oath of loyalty to the organization, which organization? "John Locke proposed a scenario regarding a favorite sock that develops a hole. He pondered whether the sock would still be the same after a patch was applied to the hole, and if it would be the same sock after a second patch was applied, and a third, etc., until all of the material of the original sock has been replaced with patches." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

• sir82
    sir82

Reminds me of an old joke I once saw a stand-up guy do:

[Holds up an axe]

This is the very same axe that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree when he was a boy....

Of course I had to replace the handle....

And the head.....

But it occupies the same space.....

• Simon
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

The GB passed a ethics exam, but they cheated.....Paradox 101.....

• rebel8
    rebel8

oops, I clicked dislike accidentally

• cha ching
    cha ching

oops, sir 82... me too! I tried clicking on like, to make it go away.... but no can do...Hey! I just re-clicked/ renewed, and the "dislike" disappeared! Awesome!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Mind blown! Great find.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It's the old " Ship of Theseus" paradox.

If a old ship is repaired by replacing each worn part with a New one, until eventually none of the original parts are left, is it still the original ship? Or a completely new one? Despite having the same name?

Brilliant @jwabuse!!!

• Christophoros
    Christophoros

Here's how Trigger's broom gets passed along the generations...

https://youtu.be/AegLdB7UI4U

Different broom/cult...

But it's still a broom/cult doing the same things...

Here's just one of them...

'you've gotta wear a suit... Everyone else is... '

Suits look different in 2017 to how they looked in 1975...but they're still suits...

And the wearing of the suit is one of the first baits the Watchtower uses to catch people...

'hey I'm wearing a suit now... I have conformed, been assimilated... And showing that I'm obedient and loyal to my superiors... Awaiting my reward...

And starting to feel special, chosen, so good at putting on the new personality.... So good at trying to appear to be outwardly pure...

So superior to worldly people...

Hey what's going on?

I'm starting to develop narcissistic, sociopathic, callous, hypocritical traits...

It's alright, one day I'll wake up, leave this evil cult and begin the journey of recovering my true self... '

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit