And now for something you might be able to hear without repulsion

by TerryWalstrom 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I won't give a long preamble other than to say this. Listen and see how you respond. I did. And now I'm passing it along to get your feedback.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28i3lWxW5xs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I relate to the way JP explains many things he's an interesting guy to listen to most of the time.

Btw I can listen without repulsion to JP or anybody for that matter, just like I can walk and chew gum. I generally try to listen first then make up my mind.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It is a truth that mankind as far back in ancient times cared about social order (the ten commandments) as well the enduring hardships and perils of the living experience.

To them the supernatural agents in the heavens were the answer to all of mankind's woes and problems.

Humanism is on the plain of thought but without supernatural intervention.

I think what this guy is saying is that he believes in humanity to care for one and another from a theological perspective .

I dont think his position on redemption is carefully thought out though for he missed the point that people have put their own personal will and desires in a apathetic way harming others from out of the acceptance of having their own personal redeemer.

I've known a few JWs who created their own character and social behavior with others on a held to premise of well they too have a personal redeemer and they were going to check in with him twice a week at their local kingdom Hall.

• cofty
    cofty

Jordan seems to use the word 'truth' in a way that stretches the definition of the word to extremes.

He rightly sees the value in many of the biblical myths and the way they describe the human condition.

I'm not sure how that makes him a christian by any reasonable definition.

• steve2
    steve2

He does as good a job as any in talking himself into belief in God. Reference to social order and cohesion will always win brownie points from sociologists, as Emile Durkheim found.

Ultimately, though, when belief is constructed around oodles of "logical" connections (talk, talk, talk), it transforms itself into "truth" from which crystals are tossed around to form a solidified mass that brooks no pinpricks of reality.

Magic has never sounded so scientific.

• TerryWalstrom
  • doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

"Hypertrue" "metatrue" Christ is a "meta hero" Please. "Soul construction" I don't feel my "spirit" was any more "articulated" after to listing to him.This is just more bad philosophy that is trying to say in a very intellectual and complicated way that there must be some higher truth that is not based in the facts of reality. Its just a disguised version of the "you can't have morality without God" argument. There are many ways to determine a moral framework or work out what a person "should" do that don't rely on any esoteric mumbo jumbo - does it cause physical or emotional harm and the veil of ignorance thought experiment are two that come to mind. I checked out another short video of his which was linked titled "the problem with atheism" where he uses the old "if there is no God you can do anything you want" argument. I don't think that puts him in the category of great thinkers. Its just annoying and insulting.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Listen to this rant and you'll see what he's all about:

https://youtu.be/EyYdGiJpyXk

"the superordinate principle" - his euphemism for God

"the state isn't salvation, the individual is salvation" - "how difficult that concept is to develop" - "nothing less self-evident than that" - I don't agree (at least I think I don't, its very hard to understand what he's really getting at most of the time.)

His mission is "resurrecting the dormant logos" ???? Yeah, thats clear.

I think he's in love with his own Jungian philosophy and his intellectual personal definitions for things (like God above), and perhaps the sound of his own voice.

He accuses atheists who don't agree with him of being shallow, not being "deep thinkers" - maybe they have thought as deeply as he has, but come to conclusions that are clearer than his.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think he's nuts !

• cofty
    cofty

If you listen to his first interview with Sam Harris it will make you want to scream. It's almost as if he was trying to sabotage any chance of actual communication.

I do think he has some very interesting things to say about the cultural Marxism. His recent interview with Cathy Newman was astonishing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit