The One Way Speed of Light Could Be Instantaneous

by Sea Breeze 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    You point it at a flat surface and it tells you how far away it is, to the 64th of an inch, by measuring the time delay of the reflection.

That is a round trip, not one way. Einstein wrote that C is equal to 2 AB (distance from A to B plus B to A)

You can win the Nobel Prize if you can figure out how to measure the one-way speed of light.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think that TD is saying that, if you know the distance you are measuring, and if you can record the time the light takes to return, then you also know the time it took to travel to the reflective surface.

• TD
    TD

That is a round trip, not one way.

Okay, I see what you're saying. And you're right.

The one-way speed of light is unresolvable, because a precise measurement requires a clock at either end and at the level of accuracy that is needed, the two clocks won't give exactly the same reading at two different locations because of the very nature of the universe.

Stephan Hawking I'm not, but I'm not sure "unresolvable" is the same as "unknowable" in the sense of being unable to arrive at a decent working approximation suitable for mundane engineering tasks, like we do with the figure for Pi, which is also unresolvable.

We do in effect "measure" one-way speed of light via satellite, GPS, Webb, Hubble, Perseverance, Lucy, Dart, Voyager, Juno, etc., etc., etc. It's not a measurement suitable for theoretical physics, but a substantial difference in forward and return trip speeds would require a substantial difference between earth clocks and the internal clocks in these devices. In a few of these examples, it would have to be minutes as opposed to fractions of a second.

I guess I can't categorically deny that (Never thought about it before) but if so, it's definitely new to me.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The entire Universe is an experiment and as observers we affect the outcome.

We could change our focus as a species and have an entire Civilization based on Fungi if we wanted to, or Crystals.

We can focus/change anything we want because the materials for doing so are surrounding us at all times and they are just waiting for us to question “The Science.”

DD

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    • The one-way speed of light is unresolvable, because a precise measurement requires a clock at either end and at the level of accuracy that is needed, the two clocks won't give exactly the same reading at two different locations because of the very nature of the universe.
    • TD:
    • If you want to describe precisely when and where something takes place, you need four coordinates: three spatial ones and one temporal one, i.e., time.
    • Einstein taught us that time is relative for each and every observer, and there's no such thing as "absolute time".

time

Kinda makes the creative days in Genesis a non-issue. Whose time was it?

• waton
    waton

one way speed of light? do you mean original, pristine photons / waves emitted emitted from an energy source are in instantaneous travel at infinite velocity? as compared to old, second hand reflected light? test, without any clocks:

easy: have an original light source beaming away, and reflected light beside it, and visually compare the start and arrival side by side instant at the start and finish lines. guarantee you that there is no difference between virgin and reflective light speeds.

Consider this, time is the first dimension, always existed, with uncreated energy. light in our young universe traveled since about 13 billion years. none of it is still circulating at infinite speed all has been stretched into radio wave length. we all send messages into the future, but everything we look at, or hear, is from the past. Max speed @ c.

instantaneous reaction at a distance is from entanglement, prior contact, not superluminal travel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit