The current financial crisis of Watchtower in historical context (part 1)

by slimboyfat 165 Replies latest members private

• LV101
    LV101

I agree -- they have plenty to roll on at the present and, unfortunately, we're not likely to observe any money meltdown demise soon. They're like No Ko (North Korea) and just won't go away. The loyal dubs will roll over and pay. It's their life (all they know) and so much pride they're special and protected from reality.

It's not hopeless and anything is possible but they've prospered from real estate sales and have professionals at the helm - the GB puppet show will continue.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Plus even if the WT convinces JWs that they should contribute more money, because of their low levels of education and career aspiration, they simply don't have as much money to contribute as members of other religions.

And the economy. The average pub doesn't have extra money. But if the wt cd rom sold for 100.00 or more, everyone would scrape up the money for their copy and for bibles and wt lit too if they were for sale, and everyone would not feel the cost and feel happy they got something wonderful for their money and all that money adds up. But large amounts of money at times from a few people doesn't add up but small amounts from everyone -regularly-adds up. And it is human nature to want something tangible for money. Also there is no suggested price for things and no suggested donation responsibility per publisher.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As I understand it congregations have promised a certain amount to the branch, rather than individuals. If congregation contributions don't cover the promised amounts they will need to lower the congregation contribution at some point. Even in the past, when congregation members have filled out the "pledge" slips, they have never generally met their promises in the medium to long term. (I've heard this discussed a few times by elders)

I am absolutely convinced the new arrangement will result in a significant downturn in contributions, based on past experience of such voluntary arrangements. But there's little point arguinging about it. The figures for Britain at least should be available within a few years and we can check for sure what the impact has been.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think the JWs that remain will contribute more to the online contribution arrangement. Who doesn't prefer to do things online rather than schlep all over the place, it's easy covenient accessible at any time you can be in your jammies or your yoga pants.

I think most JWs would be happy-happy joy-joy if their only access to "spiritual food" was online 24/7 and a convention once a year they would be so grateful they would actually give more. The ones that don't like it would just fade away but that's going to happen anyway.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I think the JWs that remain will contribute more

SD, SBF supports his conclusion with evidence. What do you base your thinking on?

And based on SBF post, next major cutback may be the sale of KH conveniently close to home and more consolidation of cong. and territory. Pubs will have to travel longer distances.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Many JWs have the attitude that they contribute their time rather than their money to the Watchtower. In the past this worked well for both individual JWs and the organisation, because time spent selling the magazines and books made money for the organisation. Nowadays JWs still have the attitude that they are donating their time on the carts, the only difference being that this activity makes the Watchtower no money whatsoever. Yet JWs still feel they are "giving" to the Watchtower by this activity. Not only a waste of time, but financially disastrous.

The whole things is a fragile, hollowed-out mess, liable to collapse any minute. If Watchtower was a rope bridge that's been standing for nearly 140, I wouldn't choose this moment in time to start crossing it, its longevity notwithstanding.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    What we are speaking about is all hypothetical right?
  • sparky1
    sparky1

"The whole thing is a fragile, hollowed-out mess, liable to collapse any minute."

Now you're really talking NONSENSE!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

We'll see.

The things that's really got me thinking were specifically three events in the last few months:

1) when they "released" the new book at the convention but failed to actually release the book. What on Earth? They even showed pictures of children gathered round reading the new book, and then announced that they weren't actually going to hand any copies out. Instead you were supposed to download it, and if you really really wanted one you could ask for one to be ordered at the literature desk, and it would be sent "when available".

2) they announced that the next book to be studied at the book study is a book about Jesus. Everyone is encouraged to download the book in advance. And if you really need a physical copy you should contact your group overseer and he will order one on your behalf.

3) all posters for the carts that feature specific items of literature are to be discarded. Instead they will be replaced with "thematic" posters that are not tied to items of literature.

These measures suggest to me they are near the brink of running out of money. Or else what are they playing at?

Quite specifically what I mean, when I say it is a fragile, hollowed out mess, is that's it's possible to see how the organisation functioned historically. They made money and expanded on the basis of magazine subscriptions and book sales. (With the addition of food sales at conventions and the like) That's how it "worked", and the organisation ticked along very nicely.

It's no longer clear how it manages to function. They have the bonus of one off sales of property. But when that's gone, then what? How does the organisation sustain itself?

Increasingly there are signs that it can't sustain itself. Not just what they say but also what they do.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Many JWs have the attitude that they contribute their time rather than their money to the Watchtower. In the past this worked well for both individual JWs and the organisation

Exactly!!

to collapse any minute.

What do you mean since wt should have money and enough money to exist and to operate for the present. They have been making money for over 100 years. How could they have run out of money after selling the expensive real estate and all money accumulated for a century. Yet as you say, I have been making the same observations you state, wt does not appear to be making enough income from contributions to fund its operations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit