The current financial crisis of Watchtower in historical context (part 1)

by slimboyfat 165 Replies latest members private

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

How are the congs paying the light bill when there is a deficit?

• sir82
    sir82

I've never been in a congregation where money was that tight.

But I imagine, if it ever came to that, the congregation would make an announcement that there is a serious deficit and money is needed to cover the light bill. And then very likely at that very meeting there would be enough donations to cover it.

If it really came down to it, the BOE would probably get together and donate the money themselves.

But it would never, ever, ever, in a thousand million years, ever occur to any elder anywhere, to ask the WTS for money.

Ask the WTS to give us money! LOL!

What color is the sky in your world?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Ask the WTS to give us money! LOL!

Which brings us back to SBF Topic. Who has been paying for literature the past couple of decades? (And monthly Cong expenses that many Cong can't pay on a monthly basis?)

• Incognito
    Incognito

As I understand, congregations are expected to pay utilities (phone, internet, water, sewer, natural gas, electricity) and other monthly expenses (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, salt, snow clearing). WT does not pay those bills and if there is a shortfall, Elders are expected to hound the congregation, but instead of continually asking for money, often those elders with means will pay it themselves. Where there are multiple congregations, those expenses would likely be shared by proportion of the number of publishers in each.

If any congregation had savings, WT claimed those funds but 'allowed' each congregation to continue holding up to $5000 of their own money, to cover operating expenses and minor maintenance expenses.

• sir82
    sir82

And monthly Cong expenses that many Cong can't pay on a monthly basis?

You can't get that out of your head, can you.

Let me write it out slowly:

The....WTS...does...not....has...not...and....will....never....pay...any....congregation's....operating....expenses.....

Sheesh!

• Incognito
    Incognito

As local utility suppliers would enact discontinuation of service and legal action for unpaid bills, I expect those expenses would take priority over a 'donation' to WT.

While WT would not appreciate reduced contributions, no doubt a KH without heat and hydro and a legal claim served upon it, would bring reproach upon Jehovah's (WT's) name.

• pimojw
    pimojw

i havent managed to read all the above comments properly so sorry if im repeating (does anyone manage to keep up with this forum?!)

something must have happened to cause the sudden turn around in policy. it was all spend spend spend (appointing special full time servants and building etc) and then suddenly, stop! panic! they wanted to know how many old timers they had to look after in retirement, and decided to cut those nearing retirement. keep the young, use them a few years, then kick them out too. a crazy change in policy

i think the gb are not in control. the voting members of the society are (some of who are helpers/branch committee members etc) and seem to live the high life.

• pimojw
    pimojw

i seem to be reading that the org would never GIVE money to congs for operating expenses. that is simply not true. in poorer countries many congs cannot fund themselves, and the society pays their kh rent and utilities etc

that is a fact, not a guess, but i have no proof!

• Incognito
    Incognito
    in poorer countries many congs cannot fund themselves, and the society pays their kh rent and utilities etc - pimojw

Isn't that the original purpose of the WWW contribution box, to provide KHs and support to less fortunate locations that can't afford those things for themselves?

The comments made regarding WT not paying monthly KH expenses, is in relation to more affluent countries.

• done4good
    done4good

They don't have cash flow issues. They can pay today's expenses with cash on hand.

They do have long-term sustainability issues. These are becoming increasingly problematic for them.

In 1990 when the WTS changed to a "donation" arrangement, they did so begrudgingly. There were no good alternatives. If they became accountable for California sales tax, (the legal precedent set by State of California v. James Swaggart), they become taxable, period. This means real estate tax; capital gains tax on all investment dividends and income; etc. They were charging something like $6 at the time for a "deluxe" bible. That bible would cost more like $40 dollars in 1990 dollars, if they would survive as a taxable organization, just on the surface of it. Never mind the fact that becoming a taxable organization delegitimitizes them as a religion. Becoming taxable was a non-starter, period.

We are seeing the slow financial demise of the organization. The first actions taken in the 1990s were cost cutting, such as conversion to paperback books; elimination of meal service at assemblies; and magazine reductions. In the 2000s, it was selling off branches, laying off Bethelites, and more magazine reductions. Now, it's selling off world-class Brooklyn Heights properties to Kushner; taking Kingdom hall deeds and begging for money. Since they have plenty of assets they can liquidate and reinvest, this will take time, however make no mistake, it is happening. It is that simple. They are in a long-term financial demise.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit