What is an apostate?

by esther 24 Replies latest jw friends

• esther
    esther

The meaning of 'apostasy' given in my dictionary is "abandonment of religious faith, vows, principles or party". I used to think that only cults considered leaving their religion to be apostasy, but according to my dictionary, as quoted above,everyone who changes their religion is technically an apostate. So were those of us who changed from other religions to become JWs apostates then? If so, I think that we could speculate endlessly on whether leaving the JW religion would make us double apostates, or whether we could now be accused of 'becoming apostate'.

• Jang
    Jang

In Greek it literally means "leaving the teachings of the apostles"

Anyone who uses it any differently are using their own definition

So that rules all of us out as apostates ... But since the WTS has left the teachings of the Apostles then everyone still in it are technically Apsotates!!

JanG

• professor
    professor

Here is the definition of Apostate in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book I happened to pick up today:

Apostasy

Definition:

Apostasy is abandoning or deserting the worship of God, actually a rebellion against Jehovah God. Some apostates profess to know and serve God but reject teachings or requirements set out in his Word. Others claim to believe the Bible but reject Jehovah's organization.

So yes its anyone who doesn't want to be a Witness anymore. Personally, I am a double-dipped jelly donut apostate with sprikles.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Esther,
    First of all welcome to the board. Hope to hear more from you!!
    My comment on your question is this.

abandonment of religious faith, vows, principles or party".

If this definition is true, then the WT has apostatsized against it's own teachings. Some of the changes in policy they have made over the years is an abandonment of religious faith, IMO.
    TW

• hippikon
    hippikon

The word apostate is not found in the KJV of the bible ( Just like the word trinity). And only in the Hebrew Scriptues of the NWT. The word that the NWT translates apostate is translated Hypocrite in the KJV and Godless in most other translations. The original Hebrew word is “chaneph” meaning impious - from a root word meaning pollute

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• Jang
    Jang

The word apostate is not found in the KJV of the bible ( Just like the word trinity). And only in the Hebrew Scriptues of the NWT. The word that the NWT translates apostate is translated Hypocrite in the KJV and Godless in most other translations. The original Hebrew word is “chaneph” meaning impious - from a root word meaning pollute

You are right that the word apostasia does not appear but that is the word that was used and its literal meanint is as I said ... "not of the apostles" or "leaving the teachings of the apostles" .... so if they want to used the word in modern times then we should insist they used it properly [:D}

JanG

• Francois
    Francois

If apostate means leaving the teachings of the apostles (which sounds reasonable to me), then the organization of JWs is a platinum-plated, case-hardened, gold-filled example of it. As are most other religions. The JWs humble definition including leaving "God's organization" is certainly convenient for them, isn't it?

But think about it. The apostles didn't understand Jesus when he was alive and walking among them. It's obvious from what Jesus said to them that he was patiently putting up with their limited comprehension and intellect. Screw the teaching of the apostles I say. I'm just as capable of understanding the words of Jesus - with the help of the small, still voice within - as any apostle ever was; and so are all of you. Apostasy! Bah, Humbug!

Frankly, I think the big four are: apostasy, heresy, sectarianism, and cultism. Now, you take me for instance, I'm really more of a heretic than an apostate - and proud of it. How 'bout you all?

I think I'm feeling a small essay coming on about the Big Four. It's Sunday. Time hangs heavy on the hands. Casting about for something to do. Perhaps a nice little essay would ease the boredom and give expression to the desire to further rip the cover from off the JWs and put the lie to their disguise.

Francoise

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Francoise....
    Love your posts...and I would love to read the essay that is begging to be written

I am definitely a heretic! And, according to my dictionary, also an apostate...Webster's defines apostasy as "an abandoning of what one has believed in, as a faith, cause, principles, etc." I used to be a boring ol' witness, trudging these hot Florida roads with wrinkled magazines and wrinkled pantyhose....but now I'm so many cool things!! A heretic, an apostate, and a rebel! Yeehaw (nope, that ain't yahweh backwards )

Safe

• Moxy
    Moxy

apostasy does NOT mean leaving the teaching of the apostles. whered u hear that?

the greek is apo-stasia apo=from (apology, apogee) stasia=stand (stasis, static) literally, 'stand from' or 'stand away'

mox

• JanH
    JanH

JanG:

In Greek it literally means "leaving the teachings of the apostles"

Not even close.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit