Wooly Mammoths

by Bloody Hotdogs! 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

A JW came to my door a while back and used wooly mammoths as evidence for Noah's flood. He was a bit older, so I thought this must be some oddball out-of-date teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses. I could remember something in the Insight book about frozen mammoths, but not much else. WELL, was I ever wrong. JWs have published more on wooly mammoths than (I think) any other extinct animal. They've really hung themselves on this one.

So, yesterday, I set about collecting every single quote I could find on the WT CDROM and made a page on my website devoted entirely to wooly mammoths:

WOOLY MAMMOTHS - What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?

Have fun! ... and let me know if Ive missed anything...

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Heard a talk not to long ago on a Sunday about the flood. It was awful buy he mentioned the apply mammoths. Fascinating how they latch on to something like this that isn't really proof, and ignore volumes of other real evidence there was no flood.
  • prologos
    prologos
    The frozen Mammoth is a canard, red herring, because the fall of a water canopy would have resulted in an immense energy release, it would have been resulted in steamed, boiled buried Mammoth instead.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

The statement about Woolly Mammoths living before the flood is standard Young Earth Creationist teaching. They believe that Woolly Mammoths lived in a tropical paradise that existed back then. Of course, they forget that their thick shag of wool is an adaptation for Ice Age conditions. They would die from heat stroke if they were in the tropics.

Another indication that Jehovah's Witnesses and creationists in general are woolly-headed.

• TD
    TD

What VI said above.

JW's plagiarize the creation arguments of others and always have.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Great work, by the way what do you think killed so many of these animals off? A sudden drop in temperature, if so caused by what since these animals seemed adapted already to ice age type of conditions.

By the way the water canopy idea comes straight from Babylon yet they reject the older stories of the flood also from Babylon and Sumeria.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    Most woolly mammoth populations disappeared during the late Pleistocene and early Holocene, alongside most of the Pleistocene megafauna (including the Columbian mammoth). This extinction formed part of the Quaternary extinction event, which began 40,000 years ago and peaked between 14,000 and 11,500 years ago. Scientists are divided over whether hunting or climate change, which led to the shrinkage of its habitat, was the main factor that contributed to the extinction of the woolly mammoth, or whether it was due to a combination of the two. Whatever the cause, large mammals are generally more vulnerable than smaller ones due to their smaller population size and low reproduction rates. Different woolly mammoth populations did not die out simultaneously across their range, but gradually went extinct over time. Most populations disappeared between 14,000 and 10,000 years ago. The last mainland population existed in the Kyttyk Peninsula of Siberia 9,650 years ago.[86][87] A small population of woolly mammoths survived on St. Paul Island, Alaska, until 6,400 years ago.[88][89][90] The last known population remained on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Ocean until 4,000 years ago, well into the start of human civilization and concurrent with the construction of the Great Pyramid of ancient Egypt.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There have been other discussions about Wooly Mammoths on this site before, if you're interested.

CLICK HERE

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated
    When I was still very much a believer and in high school I took 3 clases on geology and realted... one of the sections was on the ice age... I always found this hard to fit into the bible then
  • talesin
    talesin

I like the information on your site, it's excellent! I'm no expert, so can't say if you missed anything.

Nice work. xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit