"No junk mail". How witnesses ignore these signs!

by stuckinarut2 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

John is right, in the US it is illegal to put thungs like that in a mailbox.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Not everyone lives in the US.

• stillin
    stillin

Sparrowdown, why not? We'll take anybody over here. Our approved mailboxes are sacrosanct, no touchy, federal property.

Who wouldn't want to live in a place like this?

• John Davis
    John Davis

I never claimed that US law applies everywhere. And I said "at least in the US" I indicated that those laws only apply in the US. But I am sure there are a number of countries with similar laws because that is the way that the posts get money is through stamps. In many countries, Stamps is like currency where if you forge it, it is like you are forging money because the stamps is how government's make money, though most lose money with their postal service.

• stillin
    stillin

John, I have always appreciated the Witness's respect for the mailboxes. Rather than feeling above the law, they keep their grubby hands OFF! It probably is similar in other countries. If it isn't, damn well should be!

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Here in Australia the Freedom of religion right ceases at the front gate and, if the occupant of a property puts up a "do not knock" sign "no hawkers" or, "no trespassers", your right of access to the property has been denied. If you knock, you break the law. If a no junk mail sign is on the mailbox, no literature is to be placed therein. Any mail you try to place in the mailbox must be addressed to the person directly and not simply "to the householder"

Most jw's that I know respect any occupants' request in this matter. There are of course the uber zealous and illiterate ones, as there are in society generally.

I must say, there is an increase in signs stating jws directly as not being welcome.

The best one I've heard of is where the occupants sign states that "before you knock. be aware that a charge rate of au$50.00 per minute will be made for any religious discussion. If you agree with this then feel free to knock". I kid you not its a ripper. apparently a few of them have been spotted.

jtg

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Jonahstourguide: Any mail you try to place in the mailbox must be addressed to the person directly and not simply "to the householder"

Wow, I didn't know that! We have a "no junk mail" sticker, and yet often get mail that is just addressed "to the householder" from marketing companies. AND it is delivered by the official Aust Post mailman.... I'll have to look into that.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Ok Stuck, My bad, the instruction to address to person directly is an wt directive to pubs here in Victoria as I understand it. I re read my post !!. I wasn't clear enough. I also get the to the hh junk mail. But, I will also look further into that. However I keep junkmail reply paid envelopes, jam them full of junk mail and send them off to the addressee.......

jtg

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

That's a cool thing to do Jonah! Love it!

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

In the US one can not just put up a no junk mail sign, and think the USPS will follow it's directions. The USPS is paid to deliver, all mail, and not to pick out what is or isn't junk mail!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit