We Need to Vote God Out of Politics

by Village Idiot 15 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Here is an excellent article from the Salt Lake Tribune on the issue of having "God" mixed with politics. The author makes the point that gods are merely a reflection of people's egos who just happen to say whatever it is the believer wants to believe.

Here are some excerpts:

"The Rev. Franklin Graham came to Salt Lake City last week to encourage us to put God back into politics. It was a waste of time. This is Utah. God has never left our politics. We've had (and still have) some really stupid laws to prove it."

"When people look toward their gods, it's amazing how often they find themselves looking into a mirror."

"We have a name for the last time a god ran everything in government β€” the Dark Ages. And we have a name for it today β€” the Middle East."

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

And from one of our founding fathers in the USA:

β€œAnd here, without anger or resentment, I bid you farewell. Sincerely wishing, that as men and Christians, ye may always fully and uninterruptedly enjoy every civil and religious right, and be, in your turn, the means of securing it to others; but that the example which ye have unwisely set, of mingling religion with politics, may be disavowed and reprobated by every inhabitant of AMERICA.”

Italics and capitalization in the original.

Thomas Paine - Epistle to Quakers. From The Online Library of Liberty: The Writings of Thomas Paine, Volume I page 126

• cofty
    cofty

It's a puzzle to us in Europe why Americans value their leader's superstitions.

On this side of the pond politicians don't talk about god if they want to get elected.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Which leaders were you referring to Cofty?
  • cofty
    cofty

Has there been a prominent politician in recent American history who didn't use their christian beliefs as a reason to vote for them?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I get your point Cofty. Even liberals, with the exception of Bernie Sanders who describes himself as a secular Jew, have gone down the God path.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Even the Donald is using the Christian label in his campaign, which is a total farce. He waved a Bible around at one of his rallies.

Is there any other country besides the U.S. that mentions god on its money?

• cofty
    cofty
    Is there any other country besides the U.S. that mentions god on its money?

We have Charles Darwin on ours.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Heaven:

Even the Donald is using the Christian label in his campaign, which is a total farce. He waved a Bible around at one of his rallies.

And when he waved it it was upside down.

• Heaven
    Heaven

cofty, that is awesome. We have various political leaders, aka Prime Ministers, from our country as well as the Queen of England.

VI, yes, I noticed that as well. Somewhat dishonourable as a Christian I would think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit