Jehovah's Witnesses act like 'Flirts' with people!

by stuckinarut2 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We were just musing that JWs act in a "flirtatious" manner with people in the community.

They show such "sincere" interest in people when they call. They seem like such kind, caring and thoughtful people - really interested in their lives and welfare.

People are often quite impressed with the JWs manner, and their well dressed presentation. People (especially vulnerable ones who are going through difficult pressures in life), are drawn in and made to feel special by the witnesses as they call back.

Return visits take place. "Studies" may be started. The Witnesses may invite them to social gatherings with the congregation "friends". It all seems so amazing! ("someone likes me!" they may say.)

BUT, if the person doesn't reciprocate by "progressing" in their studies and becoming a Witness in the "appropriate time", they find themselves being treated differently. The keen interest and "friendship" lessens - the relationship cools....and eventually the Witness stops coming over or contacting them.

It is just like the conduct of a "flirt". When they don't get what they want, they abandon the person and move on.....

They simple become "somebody that I used to know"

• cha ching
    cha ching

stuckinarut2, you have such interesting observations.... When I read your OP, it dawned on me (or it put into words) the weird feelings I used to get listening to JWs giving their "well rehearsed" presentations at the door.

Smile, everyone.... hahahaha..... "look around, check for toys, etc., find something to connect with the householder to get common ground"

Your right... it is like flirting!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The thing that gets me, despite all the effort the put into getting new recruits, they seem to do very little in maintaining and retaining their current members. Its the issue of retention that is wt current problem e.g 70% of its born in youth are leaving. They can spend hours knocking on doors and yet couldn't take 5 minutes to go and visit some elderly sister who is rotting in a rest home.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Interesting observation Stuck

• Chook
    Chook

We were victims of this recruiting method , we tried to sell the story, thats a very good analogy with flirting. I'm embarrassed I flirted with religious motives. Every Jw relationship has many conditional strings attached.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I am ashamed to say that we did the same with those we met in the territory. If they didnt "progress" we dumped them....

Now looking back though, I am happy, as that saved them from getting hitched to the cult....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Stuck = they even dump their current members.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thats a good observation stuck and I agree with you.

• freddo
    freddo

I gave your post a "like", stuck.

However, I would take a small issue with you.

These dumped studies etc. often remain as RV's so that the (especially) pioneers can use them to call on and make "placements" and "video showings" and of course ... drum roll ... COUNT THEIR TIME!

But any real help like shopping or cleaning or running an errand or taking them out for a little trip - well hell will freeze over first.

• tryingnow
    tryingnow

Yes, all very true. It gives the impression of being bought-and-paid-for PR people on retainer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit