Friends: Jehovah's Witnesses shunning drove Keego Harbor mom to murder-suicide

by adjusted knowledge 8 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit

This case puzzles me a little. It sounds from this article that they were well adjusted without watchtower. I know that shunning has driven many to suicide but something just doesn't sit well with me. There must have been other motives for this tragedy.

It's been discussed on another thread here.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I agree with Wannaexit. She had a lovely home, a close relationship with hubby and two children who were successful in their work and lives......and apparently a wholesome life style.

She elected to shoot and kill her husband, her daughter and son then herself. Shooting yourself is one thing.......... shooting strangers or family members....... is another. That's just insane.

I doubt that shunning was the issue. That was five years in the past. She had her family, her work and her world still functioning.

Got to be something else.

She pulled the plug and killed those the closest to her over shunning??? By the dummies that run the local congregations??????

That issue was raised by a close friend...... but I don't see it.

Personally I despise the JW religion and shunning. But this doesn't add up.

• poopie
    poopie

Shunning killed the dog wow. Shunning is no joke.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Have you seen this, Adjusted Knowledge?

https://youtu.be/xBJ0siVgDkE

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    The tragedy sent longtime family friend Joyce Taylor reeling as she and others say they believe the murder-suicide was the result of shunning by the Jehovah's Witnesses. According to Taylor and several other former Jehovah's Witnesses

In the above line, the ex-JW friend believes that shunning drove her to do suicide and murder.

But then, few lines below the article also says:

Taylor, who last saw her friend a week before she was found dead, said she doesn't know exactly what drove her friend over the edge. She believes that her friend was battling some kind of personal problem, but felt so alone in the world because of being ostracized by her former religious community that she did what she did.

Would need to wait on the actual investigations of the case rather than simply believing the words of ex-members who may attribute all bad happenings to the shunning policy.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Maybe the ex sister in the video at the hall had first hand conversations with the family and knew first hand that the shunning was a contributing factor. One can have a pretty good life but then come home and have to deal with family or friends shunning them and it’s definitely a downer.

• freddo
    freddo

I'm sure there were several factors. What do we "know" (as reported)?

1. There is a suicide note we are not privy to. Those that are privy to it do not deny that shunning may be a factor - but they may just have kept silent as per protocol. Will more be allowed out later?

2. Joyce Taylor - Lauren Stuart's "close friend" certainly believes shunning was a factor - to the extent she planned and had an accomplice record her at a Kingdom Hall just two days later (now - 23/2/2018 - on over 40K views BTW) - but maybe a personal axe to grind over this issue?

3. The latest New York Post says she (LS) was brought up in the JW's - so I wonder if her parents or siblings shun her? This would have more effect than the local bozos at Fumbuk Central Kingdom Hall.

4. Also mentioned was a personal problem? Did this tip her over the edge?

Other surmisations -

She might have been POMI to an extent.

There may be a record of mental health issues. (Obviously she was "nuts" to do what she did)

Image and appearance seems important. Not many 45 year-olds go for a "modelling career". What was she trying to do to make herself feel good? What insecurities rushed to the surface? Was it all about to come crashing down?

Tragic and sad.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

If you check out Fateful Slaves video on YouTube he speaks to the exJw lady. Apparently the mother believed she was anointed and the elders gave her a very hard time of it. That and other issues led to the family DA but they remained POMI to the extent I believe the suicide note said she felt she had let everyone down and sinned against the Holy Spirit and the only way to get her family into the new system was to murder them. You can find the interviews in 2 parts on YT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit