They're selling some assembly halls

by LaFrancia 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    is it safe to say they will most likely sell off the most profitable ones first?

Of course! They don't care how far the dubs have to travel.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    CA's/ Special Day Assemblies are going to be the next big thing to be chopped completely

I doubt it. They make a ton of money at the CA's. With the most recent letter about donating excess circuit funds, they will make even more. The "cost" is just an amount based on a per publisher rate that the branch decides. They can up that cost and when there is a "deficit" reported at the lunch break the guilted JWs will drop more coin or swipe their card again.

• watson
    watson

The cost to put on the One Day Assembly here nearby, was $11,000. This was at a hall that was built about 25 years ago.....

Weird how that there was 1100 people in attendance. Convenient round $10 a piece. About the cost of a movie.

Some light gasps went up when it was announced.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Maybe they will go back to renting high school auditoriums and Masonic halls and ice skating venues like they did in the 1960's in western Pennsylvania. My first circuit assemblies were in the high school auditoriums and the Islam Grotto in Pittsburgh and the Rostraver Ice Skating venue. That was a few short years before building the Assembly Hall in Coraopolis, Pa where I put in countless hours working on my days off in 1973.

My only good memory of going to a circuit assembly at Clairton, PA high school is meeting my late wife. I was recently discharged from the Army in 1968 and at the urging of my mother who was a JW since 1961, went with her. I fell head over heels for this great young lady and we were married less than 8 months later. Needless to say, I went whole hog into the religion. Not sure now if it was her or did I really believe it.

HappyDad

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    CA's/ Special Day Assemblies are going to be the next big thing to be chopped completely I can just see it, their greed in this quick fire sell off's of their property portfolio is gathering pace, and is quite breathtaking at times.The Assembly hall where I got baptised a former young offenders institution in the middle of the Surrey stockbroker belt must be worth a fortune.

Good 'ol Haysbridge!

I am expecting the opposite - more use of assembly halls at the expense of regional convention sites. Here in the UK there are only a few facilities - Haysbridge, Bristol, North London and East Pennines - so I can only see them selling them off if, as you suggest, they drop the CA completely.

Of course, if it is possible to get circuits into one hall where there were two then of course they will sell one off.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of any proposed sales are in Italy to get a feel for what the WTS is actually planning.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

It seems to be a very temporary solution to a long time property. They can cash in their assets all day long. Until they increase revenue or stop expenditures they're going to continue to have a cash flow problem.

Cannibalising their assets wont save them. But it may well make things far worse.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Maybe they will go back to renting high school auditoriums and Masonic halls and ice skating venues like they did in the 1960's

I'd bet that they rather force the dubs to travel hours further to the next available Ass.Hall - to maximise capacity therein, now the C/A's are one day only

• sir82
    sir82

CA's/ Special Day Assemblies are going to be the next big thing to be chopped completely

No way - assemblies & conventions are the absolute number 1 source of contribution income. They are by far the biggest ongoing cash cow the WTS has got.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Coded Logic - "Cannibalising their assets wont save them. But it may well make things far worse."

Either way, fine by me. :smirk:

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

How many weekend days are the Assembly Halls empty?

Sounds like basic math to me.

You have 2 assembly halls.

Cut 2 day assemblies to 1 day.

Close an assembly hall.

Send one group to the remaining AH on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit