The Anointed Apostate: the Remarkable Sister Pettifog

by TerryWalstrom 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks to all for the kind words, btw.
    I enjoyed meeting that lady. I really didn't recognize her - and I usually do recognize faces.

On the opposite side of the coin - there have many instances of talking to JW's who suddenly realize they're conversing with a mentally diseased apostate and bolt like a cockroach when the kitchen light flicks on.

Male JW's at the door are curious at first, until the first sentence of reply comes out of my mouth. Then, Whoooosh--nothing but dust.

• LV101
    LV101

Love your amazing encounters/accounts at Starbucks, Terry! Keep the addiction -- great reading! I'm also a Starbucks fan - every day but only time for drive-thru, unfortunately.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Terry Walstrom - you've done it again! Great story. I'm going to print that out and save it in my archives. Boy how I can relate.

In my relatively short time as a JW from age 7 to my very early 20s, I had the privilege to meet several older JW ladies who were very much like the sister you describe in your tale above. They all had serious quirks about them and some were so "different" it was really hard to even relate to them. Here are a few examples:

One older sister was a member of the "anointed" - weren't they all in those days? She was very bossy, especially to young JWs like me. "You didn't polish your shoes. You should polish your shoes every time you come to the Kingdom Hall!" And later when I was a just married young adult I got this round of personal advice: "You should never have married with Armageddon coming so soon. Your faith is weak. Pray that you never have children so that you don't carry that burden." (My new bride of six months was already pregnant.) She would always wear a fur coat at meetings and in door-to-door service; we hated it when she was in our carpool because the windows had to be up even during the hot summers in Southern California. Strange bird. I'm sure she was a favorite of Jehovah's. She was a pain in my butt most of the time.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thanks for that.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I love hearing these stories from others!
    Old people have no filter and that makes them honest. Their true colors emerge.
    I was reared by my grandfather and grandmother.
    They were 57 years old than I was.
    I've always had a fondness for the elderly because I understand them (and now I AM ONE.)

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Her nickname was "Boots". I think she said it was because she always wore cowboy boots as a little girl.
    Apropos of nothing, Caligula was called "little boots".
    No similarity at all. It just popped into my noggin.
    Okay---everybody back to work!

• Seth
    Seth

I enjoyed reading that story very much. Thanks for sharing.

I wish there were more Sister Pettifog.

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Wonderful Terry your best ever

• Gemmel
    Gemmel

That's a incredible story, thank you for sharing

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TERRY & JUAN VIEJO:

I remember seeing ‘anointed’ types with eccentric personalities and I was annoyed at the deferential treatment they received. They seemed to think they had a license to say anything they wanted - and you were just supposed to tolerate it and humor them.

While I do feel that older people sometimes have no filter, I think in the Witness religion it was worse because of an arrogant feeling these people had in addition to ‘creature worship’ they got from deluded people in congregations.

I’m so glad I’m out of this religion and would have no patience for this nonsense now!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit