Jurassic Park

by Mary 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Not sure if anyone saw this...............I guess they've found a new species of dinasaur in India that lived 65 million years ago; I mean, which must've bin destroyed at The Flood.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20030814/ap_on_sc/india_dinosaurs_3

With the "cloning" that scientists have done (most notibly, with Dolly the sheep), do you think it's feasible that they could in fact, make a dinasaur from DNA?

• AlanF
    AlanF

I believe it's pretty much impossible for DNA to survive for 65 million years, even if encased in amber as was the idea in Jurassic Park, so no, I don't think that dinosaurs will ever be reconstituted that way.

AlanF

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

But Alan... the dinosaurs were killed in the flood. Can DNA survive for 4-5 thousand years?

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

If the DNA were actually in the mosquito that sucked the blood, it is feasible. However, highly improbable. During the fossilization process, the living tissue decomposes and is removed leaving only the bones which are like rock. The excavation of said fossils is a lengthy process. The bone is wrapped in plaster of paris and shipped to the museum for further cleaning. Molds are then made from the original bone. What you see at the museum is seldom the original bone.

But I digress...can you tell I have a future palentologist for a son?

Arrowstar of the ask me about dinos class

• logansrun
    logansrun

Stephen Jay Gould, somewhere in his writings, explained quite nicely how a "ressurrecting of the dinosaurs" was nearly impossible. I do believe it *might* be feasible to bring back certain types of wooly mammoths, though, based on how closely they are related to modern elephants and a greater preservation of their DNA in the fossil record. That would really be cool news.

Bradley

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    can you tell I have a future palentologist for a son?

Hey, I've got one of those too! When he was in Kindergarten (a whole two years ago), his snotty teacher asked the class what they wanted to be when they grew up. He said "paweontowogist" and she, thinking that this was a "parent-driven" idea, decided to question him and see if he really knew what that was. Well, ten minutes later she was convinced it was HIS idea. He knew how to say "pachacephalosaurus" when he was two and could tell you ALLLLLL about its habits, size, period in which it lived, etc.

Pokemon and Game Boy Advance have come into his life too, but I think dinosaurs will always be his first love.

Nina

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Kevin has been interested in dinosaurs since the around the same age. At age 5, he went to hear Dr. Robert Bakker speak here in Dallas. He's met several paleotologists. I am constantly amazed at what he knows and how quickly he knows it. What his goal is to disprove Jack Horner's theory that T-Rex was a scavenger. Boy howdy, does that tick that boy off!!

Here's to our future palentologist!!

Lisa

• gumby
    gumby
    Arrowstar of the ask me about dinos class

How can you PROVE some dinosaurs ate meat and killed other dino's?

This is something I have been short on but proof of this would demonstrate that the animals created by god were not meant to eat plants and vegetation before mans fall into sin as creationist/religious ones imply.

Gumby

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Here in Pittsburgh we have one of the best dino collections in the world, a gift from our philanthropic city father Andrew Carnegie , ergo, all you have to do is go and look at the teeth on the T-Rex. It ate meat!

CZAR

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I think the really relevant questions are: Wouldn't cloning new dinosaurs just encourage Hollywood to make more Jurassic Park movies? Isn't three enough?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit