Beth Sarim

by HereIgo 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

p.s. Edmond C. Gruss (1970). Apostles of Denial (PDF). Presbyterian & Reformed. p. 226. [Beth-Sarim was built] to give sagging hopes for the princes' return a boost.

• Drifting Away
    Drifting Away

This is a good one to show my wife as well. Sometimes she asks me questions as to what I am thinking or How I feel on a JW subject. And my response is always for her to do her own research...Let her come to her own conclusions.

Thanks for a good subject and tip!

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Smiddy, she has already seen the ARC videos. I doubt if a video of Jackson dancing around a pentagon, biting chicken heads off, could shake her faith in the 7 gnomes in Brooklyn.

Drifting Away, the approach I used was to mention to my wife that I had read a couple of brief mentions of beth sarim, but I couldn't find in the WOL index. I asked if she had heard of it. She tried to look it up on jw dot org, or somewhere, and found a brief official explanation. (Which meant she couldn't deny it exists.) From there, you can then say you found it on wikipedia. You can then detail the full history.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

It seems it started in 1928 when the WT taught that some of the annointed remnant would survive Armageddon and would still be on earth to welcome back resurrected faithful ones of old - and therefore, by building and preparing a house that these faithful ones could live in, was a display of the faith that the WT had that these events would actually happen.

Watchtower 15 December 1928, paragraphs 35 and 36

35 Following the great battle, as indicated by the words of the prophet, there comes a time of blessing upon the people, and in this the remnant will have some part. "And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people, as dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men." (Micah 5:7) The remnant are shown in the midst of the people as "dew from the Lord" and as "showers upon the grass", and these words indicate comfort and blessings to the people. This may be taken as an indication that some of the remnant will be on earth even after Armageddon is fought and will then have some more work to do in the name of the Lord and to his praise and glory. The people, having passed through the great and terrible trouble, will no longer look to men for help nor watch for the sons of men to bring them aid and comfort but will turn to the Lord and gladly hear his Word. Some creatures will have the privilege, as the Lord’s agents and messengers, of bearing the message of peace to the people.

36 The remnant of the Lord, according to this prophecy, will go on to triumph in the strength of Jehovah. A lion is a monarch among the beasts of the forest, and none can stand before him. The flocks of sheep are without power against a strong and young lion amongst them. Thus the faithful remnant of God is described by the prophet. These shall be amidst the nations of many people strong and vigorous in the name of the Lord to help those that want help and to point out God’s method of destroying those that resist. The 'hand lifted up against the adversaries' means that God's power will be exercised against all adversaries and all enemies of the people shall be cut off. "And the remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles in the midst of many people as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep; who, if he go through, both treadeth down, and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver. Thine hand shall be lifted up upon thine adversaries, and all thine enemies shall be cut off." (Micah 5:8, 9) These words of the prophet seem to warrant the conclusion above suggested.

Link to scans

Golden Age 19 March 1930, pages 403 to 407

(main portion begins on page 405, preamble included for reference)

Watchtower 15 March 1937, page 86

(see paragraphs 17 and 18)

s 311-312;

Watchtower 1 June 1940, page 162

(small piece, bottom right, False Reports)

Consolation 27 May 1942, pages 3 to 9

The New World 1942, pages 104 and 105

Let Your Name Be Sanctified 1961, pages 335 and 336

Yearbook 1975, pages 193 and 194

Jehovah's Witnesses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom 1993, page 76

Watchtower 1 November 1950, pages 414 to 417

(referenced in Proclaimers Book re change in doctrine)

• jambon1
    jambon1

Didn't Rutherford use the place as a drinking den?

I'm sure I read about big deliveries of wine to the place.

• jaydee
  • jaydee
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

Here's another WT reference I've found

Yearbook 1943, pages 33 and 34

I've added the pages in chronological order in my previous link here

Link to scans

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

This house was build at the start of the great depression that was between 1929 and 1939. So, while the unemployment rate was way up, at 25% in the states in 1933, Rutherford had this house for himself and his friends. And don't forget that they already had the big buildings in NY.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The original prediction was for the "princes" to be resurrected in 1925, but this of course failed as any other Watchtower predictions. But the Watchtower didn't abandon this belief, they still expected them to be resurrected in the coming years, so that is why they purchased the house in 1929.

The evidence from WT litera-trash that they expected this resurrection is massive, so don't bother trying to question this.

When Rutherfraud was near the end of his life, he admitted to several of his close friends that he "looked like an ass" for predicting the 1925 resurrection of princes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit