Sunday's W.T angered me + I found an ironic scripture

by Isambard Crater 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

During the "Do you love me more than these" Watchtower study on Sunday, I got so angry on many occasions, hearing people make comments like "If you enjoy your job, you're an enemy of Jehovah" and "the only reason we're here is to preach. Work and relaxation only exist to help us to preach".

The paragraph talking about the "do more!" attitude in the world getting people down really got me down just reading it, as it applies so much to the Borg.

I also found the Ecclesiastes scripture quoted to be ironic, as the rest of the article tells is that NOTHING is better or more of a priority than to preach;

22 What does a man really gain from all his hard work and ambition that drives him* to work hard under the sun?+ 23 For during all his days, his occupation brings pain and frustration,+ and even at night his heart does not rest.+ This too is futility.24 There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and find enjoyment* in his hard work.+ This too, I have realized, is from the hand of the true God,+ 25 for who eats and who drinks better than I do?+

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus must not have gotten the word.

He spent most of his adult life as a carpenter, not a preacher.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes...irony and outright hypocrisy at its finest.....

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ISAMBARD:

Yes, the scriptures make it very clear that a person should work and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I'm sure Jesus wasn't preaching every minute of every day.

The Witness religion is very unbalanced and if they bothered to read the actual bible account they would see this..but then again they don't want to because it doesn't fit with their agenda.

..and if they had an actual "warning work" they would use the media.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Cult.

G.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Fanatics

• steve2
    steve2

Well, I'd say the actual irony - in virtual contradiction of the Watchtower - is how very few of those attending and answering actually do live to preach.

I suppose each congregation has a solid core of uber JWs who live and breath the message, with a huge number of paint-by-numbers plodders and an even larger number of nominal affiliates who muster the wherewithal to "door knock" or attend meetings every now and then.

Show me a bustling, bursting kingdom hall meeting mid-week and you'd be showing me an average congregation in the early 1970s. You could not find such a kingdom hall midweek in 2017.

Rare is the JW congregation that lives to preach - although "correct" answers to the Watchtower study further the delusion. That's the irony and hypocrisy all in one.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

If everybody was preaching like robots morning, noon and night, how would the business of life go on? Not to mention how would a person take proper care of themselves and/or their family?

Crops would not be harvested, buildings and bridges would not be built, scientists would not be able to come up with cures for diseases, etc. The list goes on.

The whole JW religion is unrealistic.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Not to mention how would a person take proper care of themselves and/or their family?

WHAT? That is a very selfish view of oneself and/or their family. Don't we all know that if we just ignore everything other than door knocking and parroting third grade answers to pre-arranged questions that Jehovah is going to magically make sure all your wants and desires, as long as they match the WT agenda, are met?

• Spiral
    Spiral

Isambard Crater, this WT really irked me too. I couldn't even make a pretense of listening (remotely).

Because, as LongHairGal points out:

If everybody was preaching like robots morning, noon and night, how would the business of life go on? Not to mention how would a person take proper care of themselves and/or their family?

Guess what, at least here, they don't. This is the poorest, most educationally and financially challenged congregation I've ever been in. It wasn't that way 30 years ago, but now it's mostly people of retirement age with NOTHING. And I mean NOTHING. They've given their all to the bOrg, and now they are poor, sick, on food stamps, can't go anywhere because they have a broken down car, are in public housing or living in an old trailer, it's just a mess.

Will they never learn? No! A new (albeit, much smaller) generation here is experiencing even more financial distress and struggling to provide for their children. Waiting for the paradise "just around the corner". Ugh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit