Manmade rules

by Jrjw 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yup I had a CO too who banned Jean skirts, gave a talk about it. They still require suits for privileges. Once I forgot and was relieved from mikes part way through. Another time I forgot and gave my talk anyway.

• carla
    carla

Stories like this have been posted on and off through the years and I personally like hearing them because it just further proves my belief that the whole damn org is nuts.

When my jw first joined up and we were still discussing anything jw related I would tell him some of these stories and he claimed (as he always does) that they are just apostate lies to make the borg look bad and make it sound insane. I say, "walks like a duck....."

If you look at what he is actually saying, I guess he is agreeing that those stories are nuts and if true would rock his world too much to consciously know that all of it is insane and nothing more than man made rules that have nothing to do with God.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

All religious texts contain man made rules(pretending that god instructed them) and in addition to that every religion/sect create their own subset of rules.

Just saying because I feel the title of this thread assumes that there are God made rules and men create additional rules.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Asshole elder in Liverpool is the "white shirt" guy. Brother Evans his name was if anyone from North West UK is reading.

I had the unfortunate time of doing a demo for him in a circuit convention. I was told white shirt only. And he wanted to inspect the shirt before i went out. And he brought a spare white shirt in case i turned up in any other colour. At the time i thought it must have been a circuit assembly rule or something so thought nothing of it.

Story goes that in his own congregation he enforces this rule. He even tried to get the CO to change his shirt and was promptly told off.

This same guy wouldn't allow the sisters to do vacuuming in the assembly hall (our circuit attended Northenden, Manchester). Vacuuming was fine for sister in the KH, but the "cool" jobs like vacuuming the platform was for brothers only. You know, so you would be seen?

The assembly hall itself was really nice. A former theatre so im told. Shame about it's occupants.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    at the time the national average was 10 hours a month. I have no idea what it is now. Less I would imagine.

It would be likely the national average is truly less than 10 hrs, IF that number was really the NA. The claimed NA has been 10 hrs in Canada for as long as I remember.

I tend to believe WT continually states 10 hrs since 10 is a reasonably attainable goal at only 2.5 hrs/week. If most publishers actually did 10/month, then I expect WT would raise the number to 12 then 15.

We had attended a study group where the conductor openly stated his goal (requirement) that every member of his group is to report the NA of 10 hrs/month. At the time, my SO and I may have been regularly reporting 5 or 6 each. Upon learning the conductor's requirement, we each immediately decided to reduce our time in FS.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

As mentioned in an earlier remark, not commenting enough during the WT study was my downfall. I just didn't see the point of repeating exactly what was just read aloud. I was counseled for not being supportive of the arrangement. In other words, not drinking the kool-aid.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's how this organization is; all about petty rules and obsessing over minutia, as the bible says, straining out the gnat, but swallowing the camel. They believe their personal opinion about shirt color is more important than anything, keeping a good relationship with a fellow elder, or respecting that elders own judgement, or just not being a petty tyrant. It's most likely not even about shirt color, but one upmanship.

• Moster
    Moster

Dad wears purple shirts all the time

• floridaborn
    floridaborn

My favorite rule came direct from the Borg, don't hold your significant others hand during the prayer cause it can be distracting.

A more ridiculous one though, a sister i know was counseled for wearing a thong because her lack of panty line was distracting.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My favorite rule came direct from the Borg, don't hold your significant others hand during the prayer cause it can be distracting.

I remember this one. I got a phonecall from an elder for doing just that in a Sunday meeting. He tried to counsel me on it, I asked for a scriptural basis for his rule. He said something about "modesty, decency" etc. but i asked for a scripture. He had none but Watchtower quotes.

I countered with "God is love", where better than to show love than in Gods house? Is God offended by love?

I won.

A more ridiculous one though, a sister i know was counseled for wearing a thong because her lack of panty line was distracting.

Distracting for who? Who's checking out her ass enough to be distracted? The sister should have said "im not wearing a thong either... (wink)"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit