As a faithful JW, did you ever shun people or family ???

by run dont walk 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yes, shamefully. I used to look at df'd people though and smile. I thought it was my own little secret way of communicting I wished they would come back. How ridiculous, they must have thought I was a lunatic. (Even more of one than the average Dub.)

I shunned my very best friend. Now we are back in contact and talk everyday. I am so happy. Thankfully, she understands my motives for my actions, however misguided they were.

I won't ever do it again, from either side. If my "fade" doesn't work, I will also not ever walk by a witness with my head down. I will look them in the eye and force them to actively shun me.

Odrade

• shamus
    shamus

Sadly, yes. I was a good dub.

Then my life took a turn for the better; partied, lead the double life with my other witness friends...... then I didn't give two shits whether someone was DF'd, DA'd, whatever.... they would come to our social gatherings.

My friends do not shun me; I am not DF or DA, so I guess I'm still ok.

Bleah.

• Special K
    Special K

Yes, I shunned ones who were disfellowshipped in my congregation when I was still a J.W..

We all were under the same delusional spell that this was some kind of loving thing to do.

However, when the first teenager I knew was disfellowshipped, it didn't sit so well with me. How can you help and guide children if you won't even say hello to them. I guess I couldn't see any love in it anymore.

The only thing I did do that comforted me somewhat is that if I met a disfellowshipped person I would look them right in the eye and give them a big smile and say hi as I passed.

I also did not stay away from a d'fd persons place of business. I would go to their place of business and talk to them about whatever it was I wished to buy.

since I myself have been disfellowshipped since then, I find that I am shunned BIG TIME!..

I know from reading on the forum, that alot depends on the culture of the particular congregation you are in. some carry it to the extreme letter of the law and then in another congregation somewhere else it isn't as severe a cutting off.

Maybe it also has to do with the cultural background of the area where I live. Most who live in this area were originally from alot of German descent. I wonder if that has some bearing on things.

anyways.. that is how it was for me

The J.W. scum over my eyes was just as thick and seemingly as impenetratable as many J.W.'s you meet today.

Special K

• berylblue
    berylblue

At the hall I would smile at them a lot.

Only met one outside the hall, tried to talk to her but she wouldn't let me.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

To my everlasting shame, I shunned my best friend after she was DF'd for being pregnant and unmarried. Not only did I shun her, but she helped me to do it. She was the one who brought me news of her disfellowshiping, along with a FAREWELL GIFT -- a little fridge magnet that said, "Thank you for being a friend."

We never spoke again, and by the time I DA'd and thought to contact her again, she'd moved out of the area and the trail was ten years cold.

I still miss her. Wanda Carr, if you're reading this, PM me!

GentlyFeral

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yes, but I never enjoyed doing it....thought it was a shtupid thing to hafta do..

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit