As a faithful JW, did you ever shun people or family ???

by run dont walk 15 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

When you were still faithful to the borg, did you shun family or other people, because of the Watchtower ???

When you look back now, what goes through your mind ???

• anglise
    anglise

Yes

did it once to a young sister.

Hated doing it and myself so much that I vowed that if I met her again I would go out of my way to speak to her.

Have since caught up with her and her new family and we are in regular contact.

Anglise

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think this shunning thing must vary from cong to cong, perhaps even country to country. I don't recall being told to shun anyone before I got out. The official word seems to me to just be ''avoid talking about spiritual matters". I have never been shunned by JW family or friends. Maybe this is because I am seen as a 'lost sheep' rather than an apostate.

A cousin of mine has been DFd, but is not shunned by any of my JW family members and is always made very welcome when he puts in an appearance.

• blondie
    blondie

Only once outside the KH. I hated it and called the person and apologized. At the KH, I would always smile but was never brave enough to go up and talk to them in front of the elders.

I think this is really a 2 part question 1) did you shun DF'd/DA'd people at the KH/assemblies and 2) did you shun DF'd/DA'd people away from the KH.

Blondie

• Mary
    Mary

Nope. Even when I believed this was "the troof", I refused to shun anyone in my family who was DA'd. Screw that.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

no but when we went to assembly right after my parents got a divorce, my mom was still df'd, and her best friend of like twenty years walked past us, hadnt seen any of us or spoken to us in maybe six months or so...anyhow, this woman walked right past us and didnt even look at us. she was crying so hard though, and my mom was crying so hard as well...it was just awful.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Unfortunately, like a good dub , I shunned people. But I wasn't as rude as many were. I might still say "hi" if I saw them, but I wouldn't go beyond that. I definitely would never make a nasty look or anything like that. I didn't go to my inactive sister's wedding though...

• Dawn
    Dawn

I shunned people too............what an idiot I was!!

I don't beat myself up about it now though - it's in the past and I can't change that. I just try my best now to be a good person, friend, family member, etc.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Hell....I even know faithful JWs who aren't df'd who shun each other. My mil and her sister has made it a point not to speak to each other for years.

• garybuss
    garybuss

As a Witness I seldon had opportunity to shun. As a shunned Witness I shun a LOT now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit