Why did Jesus piddle around for 40 days in the wilderness?

by nowwhat? 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

My views on the 40 days testing of Jesus by Satan will initially appear radical. I believe it is a parable with messages to their local, immediate hearers.As with any Scripture, our minds have to be transported to the times when they were being written, taking note of every local aspect.

In the story of Jesus' 40-day testing, Jesus and Satan reason with one another in a very gentlemanly manner, using Scriptures in the same manner as any good duelling Jews would. (It was written by Jews about a Jew.)

https://jwstudies.com/Is_Awake_accurate_about_Messiah_s_anointing.pdf

Doug

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    nowwhat? - "Why did Jesus piddle around for 40 days in the wilderness?"

After all the shit he kept having to put up with (although he admittedly did sign up for some of it), I'd probably want to go on an extended camping trip, too.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It was a long Jewish tradition to expound and expand upon traditional stories and motifs using what was called Midrash. Jewish Christian writers felt free to reinterpret OT stories in a new setting, in this case a Jesus story drawing on the 40 year wilderness story. In fact when studied carefully, much of the Jesus story is in fact OT story retold for a new generation.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In the story of Jesus' 40-day testing, Jesus and Satan reason with one another in a very gentlemanly manner, using Scriptures in the same manner as any good duelling Jews would. (It was written by Jews about a Jew.)

Well if they were putting up with one another for 40 days and 40 nights they must have been quite cosy with each other .

Apparently it wasn`t the only get together they had together either .Luke 4: 13 So the devil having concluded all the temptation retired from him until another convenient time .

It also sounds like it was the Devil who was calling all of the shots here ?

Not Jehovah and not Jesus .?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit