“Well…it was a test”, says a laid-off Bethelite

by My Name is of No Consequence 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

There is a former Bethelite couple in my area undergoing a similar "test". They are in their 40s, so maybe not as desperate. The husband landed a job in my area, working for a "brother". It appears to be the opposite scenario to the one mentioned by longhairgirl. The Bethelite husband has a trade where he should be able to make good money. But his employer doesn't pay him enough to rent an apartment in this area. They have to live in a rented shed, with no kitchen. The wife has never worked to earn money and she's afraid she might have to give up pioneering, as her husband already has done.

• steve2
    steve2

AnneB:

"This ex-Bethelite rode the gravy train for how many years, now it's time for him to learn how others live. He made the choice, he pays the price...not forgetting that he also reaped the benefits and, it seems, is still reaping them since he is known by the term (ex)Bethelite. In the $ecular world (which is what we're talking about here) that designation just doesn't carry any weight at all. There are ways to survive but you have to learn what they are and apply them. "

I tend to be more in agreement with this than I would usually have been even a few short years ago. Where is the evidence that current Bethelites care about fellow Betheliets made redundant? There is none. Successive generations of Bethelites have been dumped over the decades; meanwhile current Bethelites remain content with their lot, perhaps harbouring a fear or two that it never happens to them. Beyond that, not a squeak.

What astonishes me is that, despite the Watchtower's incredibly long history of spitting out people once it's used them, some people - even on this forum! - still work up a lot of empathy for redundant Bethelites. The writing has been on the wall for decades that JW organization disposes of its own without so much as a trace of guilt or concern.

Take heed any current Bethelites reading this: Your time will more than likely come. Hint: And it won't be before this system ends, either - a fallacious expectation that keeps many a hard working JW in self-serving slavery.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

dreamerdude could you ask the couple if the end of the world is just around the corner Hee Hee why didnt the watchtower keep you on at bethel to do field service for 50 hours a week rather than kicking you out so that you have to get a job

• zeb
    zeb

"the local Congregation is his life support.".. well well once again people with no education and of low incomes having to carry an extra burden.

While the gb/wt makes untold millions out of their real-estate deals.

Call "60 Minutes".

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Zeb, Great Idea!

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

When I was growing up, Bethel service was the ultimate goal for young people. Ten years from now, the org will say: "We never said anything about Bethel service."

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

New Bethel candidates should be told of a loving provision from Jehovah that releases them into the field at 55 so they have ten years to build up Social Security.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit