“Well…it was a test”, says a laid-off Bethelite

by My Name is of No Consequence 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I got this account second hand.

A former Bethelite was reassigned to a local congregation. He had been at Bethel for years and is now in his fifties. He was in a field service group and the conversation revolved around his time at Bethel. As the conversation progressed, he explained that one day he went to his room and on his bed was a note. The note simply said: “Congratulations. You have been reassigned to the field.” The car group asked how that made him feel. After a long awkward pause, he said: “Well…it was a test.”

Now he works for another brother and is barely getting by. He has no secular education and is almost 60. No retirement. No social security built up. No nothing. Blame should be given to this brother for sure. But blame should ultimately be left at the doorstep of the org.

This is just one of the many experiences of a prototypical laid-off Bethelite.

• Londo111
    Londo111

OMG. Did it really say, "Congratulations?"

• AnneB
    AnneB

Cheer up! When he's 65 he can apply for SSI. If he has a serious medical condition or other disability he may qualify for SSD sooner than that. He can always apply for EBT ("food stamps") and Medicaid if his income is low enough. Otherwise he'll have to work at whatever he can find and take his lumps with the rest of us.

No special sympathy here, life happens. Deal with it.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Too bad that he can't rewrite his life.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I wonder if he has any theories about why Jah-wad would "test" him.

Is he Job-like in his devotion to his imaginary friend?

Would Job have said, stifling a weep, "It was a test"?

Cheer up! At least you think you have the resurrection! Or will that prove to be a disappointment too?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The note simply said: “Congratulations

Image result for congratulations you're fucked

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@ Londo111:

According to my source, yes. Perhaps another laid-off Bethelite on this forum can confirm the exact wording of these termination letters.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I think JW should have a great life in this old system and in the new system too. SMH!

• steve2
    steve2

How could he have answered otherwise? It was a group out of field service. Hardly a genuinely sympathetic audience!

Besides, there remains a kind of "residual" awe that ordinary JWs show ex-Bethelites - especially those who "endure". A fine example brother. Now stand in line for your social security check.

BTW, I doubt very much that the "note" was inscribed "Congratulations". A little bit of apocryphal re-writing there, brother!

• Hecce
    Hecce

This person is in a precarious situation and maybe unable to express his true feelings, the local Congregation is his life support.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit