When you stop & think about it ,why would Gods chosen people in the Old testament need an army ?

by smiddy 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Why would God need a starship?"

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

The Jewish view goes even one step further, Vidiot, than that applicable Star Trek allusion: Why would humans need to read and study a story about God and his "starship"? If God is real, he should be accessible without reading the story. People who tell you to concentrate on the "detail" of the starship will lead you astray.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

"Seed" preservation is one of the worst apologetics for this question. There is no need for a seed, Abel could have been born Jesus. No need to drag shit out for 4000 years.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ OneGen...

Yeah, but Jehovah's all about the drama. :smirk:

• MrTheocratic
    MrTheocratic

Can you imagine the psychological effects of killing with the sword all these people? Today the effects of war on participants is PTSD. I am surprised we do not read of such effects in isreal.

• prologos
    prologos

the key word is old testament. clearly we have Jewish people, so they made it into the present. The old testament is a story, like little red riding hood, with talking animals.

commenting on the story's script: To keep the "universal sovereignty" issue suspenseful, "god" has only selectively interfered. the swords at eden, flood, babel, firstborn, joshuah's stopping the Earth's rotation, --so:

Just in case full participation by god is not in the offing, arm yourself, even with horses;- even against instructions, if you are wise.- as Solomon.

• schnell
    schnell

@David_Jay excellent as always.

In the Power of Myth interview with Joseph Campbell, he recants a story about a Catholic priest asking, "Don't you believe in a personal god?"

"If he were personal then why I need faith?"

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Fantastic post Smiddy. I've raised this same question many times to my jw friends and family. Of course, they have no reasonable answer. With the 1 angel killing 185,000 soldiers in 1 night and with no bloody battle taking place, why the need of a human army? Unless, possibly, that story is, god forbid, just a story!

David_Jay

Great comments David_Jay regarding the history of the Jews and their weird religion. I think you covered most of it except you didn't mention that the Bible, as we have it today, is simply Jewish mythology and nothing more!

just saying!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Hey Smiddy,

One more thing. According to the "Insight" book when the Jews left Egypt;

"the Hebrews were “pursued by 600 chariots along with 50,000 horsemen and heavy infantry to the number of 200,000.”

All those Egyptians were destroyed at the Red Sea-right? No blood, no guts, no running them through with a sword or dashing their babies to pieces on a rock! God took care of his people--but they still needed an army of some 600,000 young men?

just saying!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Why would Jehovah need an army?

It's a good question but I have a feeling the JW's would answer this by saying "It was a witness to the surrounding nations for them to see the Israelites being victorious over armies that were much larger than theirs." They love anything that has to do with their image....where they're the martyrs or underdogs who have something to proving to the big bad outsiders.

I'd say it would be just as much of a "Witness" to onlookers, when they realized that anyone who challenged the Israelites, wound up being slaughtered by a band of Angels before they even got close to camp.

I don't recall anything being said about the casualties that the Israelites suffered in any of their battles. It always appeared that no one died or was even injured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit