Local elder dies of starvation

by Steel 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillin
    stillin

I wish everybody in the worldwide organization would send me a penny

• steve2
    steve2

They condemn “this system of things” as being part of Satan’s - yet as quick as they mouth these sorts of critical sentiments, claim all kinds of monetary benefits and welfare checks when their feeble attempts to get by are not enough. The numbers of local JWs on some sort of welfare benefit is staggering - and suggests this religion attracts no-hopers.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If it was just an ordinary (NON APPOINTED) person, they would be counselled by Elders for "not counting the cost, or being foolish with their decisions"!

BUT somehow because he must be a well liked APPOINTED man, they take up a collection??

I got counselled severely many years back when I arranged a secret collection for a young teenager's family. He was diagnosed with a serious form of cancer, and required expensive treatments that they struggled to afford.

I anonymously took a card and envelope around to all, and offered the opportunity to donate. It was not an official congregation initiative (because we KNOW that NO money ever goes OUT from the cong to the actual members)

I was told it was "not appropriate. and was presumptuous" to do this, and that "the family is not an exemplary family"!

Fast-forward now 7 years, he is doing well, his dad is an Elder. They don't speak with me, and I'm out of the cult.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHOEBE:

A horse? I think if they tried that nowadays they'd get told off by some people in the congregation. I certainly would have told somebody to get the HELL away from me if they were collecting money to buy somebody a horse.

Maybe back in the day when there were more elderly and affluent types who threw money around like confetti and contributed to unnecessary Kingdom Hall renovations would you get people to contribute to something as undeserving and ridiculous as that....Now, all those elderly are passing away so no more!

As far as the person mentioned in the first post:..types like him are going to be further OUT OF LUCK as time goes on if they think they can deliberately not work and imagine they are going to exist on contributions - and there are going to be fewer people in congregations who will feel sorry for them!

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    some years later people were actually asked to contribute towards a second horse for her as she wanted to sell the first and get a better horse

Oh no Phoebe, please, no second horse.... imagine just when I thought your first report of events was already pretty extreme!

• Good JW
    Good JW
    I wish everybody in the worldwide organization would send me a penny

Stillin, you got to think bigger than that.

Eg Get the congregations to give you their halls and still pay you a kind of tax. Manipulate people into donating their wills to you. Etc.

PS - reduce the costs of these demands by putting them online (call it "Jehovah's chariot" if the elderly kick up a stink)

• Good JW
    Good JW

If witnesses were all given a horse due to mental health issues then people would think JW's have converted en masse to the Amish

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    They condemn “this system of things” as being part of Satan’s - yet as quick as they mouth these sorts of critical sentiments, claim all kinds of monetary benefits and welfare checks when their feeble attempts to get by are not enough. The numbers of local JWs on some sort of welfare benefit is staggering - and suggests this religion attracts no-hopers.

Yes, this is what I observe as well, Steve. It seems to me too many JWs are on some sort of welfare benefit, and in some cases, needlessly so. Hardly a group worthy of being the sole survivors of Armageddon.

Just one point, though. Does this religion attract no-hopers, or does it turn them into no-hopers? I suspect a bit of both, but perhaps more the latter.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Reminds me of my families own set of hard times. The year: 1999. Family of JW's for 20+ years, good standing. My father develops an aggressive form of cancer. My mother works full time as an RN, AND goes to all meetings and some field service. Father needed surgery right away, treatment, etc. My mom stayed home more to care for my father. After a while, when she did show up to meetings she asked an Elduh for some sort of help, anything. Elduh's response? "We are not a charity. You need to pray more, attend all the meetings, and be more active in the field ministry." My mom came home from that meeting in state of utter shock and despair. She was doing EVERYTHING and then some, and was exhausted. What did she get from the JW's? A guilt trip about not doing enough. A few months later, the portly rotund PO Elduh had to have heart by-pass surgery. My mother happened to be at the Sunday meeting where an actual announcement was made from the stage about the PO's condition and that they were asking for meals to be made or gift cards to restaurants could be given so that the PO's wife didn't have to cook. She was a stay-at-home wife who didn't even work!!!!! My mom was again floored. This was the red-flag wake-up call that the JW's were hypocritical, useless, self-absorbed CULT. She never recovered from her treatment and being treated like a 2nd class citizen, all the while others in the hierarchy got treated like royalty. It led her to ask me about what I was reading online, and she actually ordered Ray Franz's books online first, and then gave them to me!!!!!

JW's: Shooting themselves in the foot for over 130+ years! Too stupid to know what charity and hypocrisy are, yet actively go out and attempt to recruit suckers while their members are dying along the roadside.

I had a taste of more "JW Christian Love", while my mother was on her death bed. The final straw for me.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Fast-forward now 7 years, he is doing well, his dad is an Elder. They don't speak with me, and I'm out of the cult.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit