Is the end of Watchtowers hated No Blood doctrine in sight?

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• steve2
    steve2

There is certainly precedent for the WT to eliminate the blood doctrine. Note how they accomplished something very similar with respects to vaccination:

I respectfully disagree. There is a monumentally much more loaded and commitment-driven history of protest, deaths, "escaping" from hospitals, "kidnapping" children from hospitals and so on with the blood-ban than there ever was with the vaccination-ban.

The vaccination-ban never reached the point of becoming an institutionalized belief in the JW canon the way the blood-ban has, what with the setting up of "Hospital Liaison Committees", innumerable legal maneovres, promotion of JW-friendly hospitals and so on.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

They will "Never" come out and change it in a straight forward manner. They will put some type of spin to it. For example they might say;

A blood transfusion is acceptable if the Blood has been fractionated in a sterilized container to recognize its use as something holy to Jehovah. If such is the case, then the conscience of some--- might allow them to accept a blood transfusion with the understanding that blood belongs to Jehovah and just like the Israelites shared a burnt offering with the priest, a dedicated member will share the blood sacrifice with the Great High Priest, Jesus.

New Light

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Me thinks JW parents like being able to take a stand knowing the Courts will reverse their decision and baby lives.

Absolutely true, but it's not always the case that both parents are JWs, or if they are they may not stay JWs forever. Mistakes are made in seeking Court Orders quickly enough and even other relatives, siblings or grandparents may take action independently - I personally know of one instance where this is an ongoing issue.

• hardtobeme
    hardtobeme
    The GB needs more martyrs to prove that they are God's only channel on earth. And I think that that is the only reason why they came up with that doctrine. They need: "modern day martyrs".
  • Giordano
    Giordano

What's not to like? Why should the organization need to change its stand against blood?

Well for one thing the courts in the USA don't always intercede. That infamous Awake profile on children who lost their lives showed that a court will accept that a 11 or 12 year old can be mature enough to make a decision for themselves.

For another reason...... the Blood Card is a suicide note for an unconscious trauma victim.

For a third reason there are a certain percentage of JW's that go along because they don't want to lose their families and friends through shunning.

It all depends how remorseful you are when approached about the matter.

Finkelstein that's an amazing point....... the Elders expect you to feel remorseful because you decided to save your child from dying!

I know ....it's a cult!!

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

If, they ever decided to essentially, completely do away with the "blood issue", the WTS would have so much blood guilt, it would not be funny. If they just stopped it now, then they would be opening themselves up, morally, and legally, to all the familys who HAVE lost loved ones over the years, due to not accepting blood. The backlash, would be unprecedented, of ex-JW's, and current Jw's, who lost children to this hardlined doctrine, for it then to be done away with. Can you imagine, the legal ramifications.

Make no mistakes, the LEGAL ramifications, is the only reason that it is still in effect, but only mildly, compared to how it used to be. The BS, that the WTS is putting out concerning blood, where you CAN use this fraction, or that fraction, this part , but not that part, its all BULLSHIT. None of it is scriptural, whether concerning the fractions, or even the issue of blood itself. Even in the bible, it is DIETARY, and it was ONLY about maybe stumbling your fellow brother, then it would maybe be wise to abstain, but NOT in a case of a perons very life itself depending on it.

The fact that the WTS, has essentially, done away with it, by not being hardlined anymore, or taking fractions is OK, or knowing that the courts may intervene, anyway, is APPALING. People have died over this. People have lost their children over this. I would almost, have more respect for them, if they still stuck to their guns, and continued it to be NO BLOOD, but the fact that they are now white washing it, and sweeping it under the rug, but still COWARDLY, not fully coming out and saying its OK now, is WRONG.

The WTS is NO longer giving out any up to date blood cards. They have all but made it allowable to take almost every part of blood, that its practically allowed now, but they still wont come out and say its OK. This is appalling, as some may STILL die from this no blood policy, not even realising that the GB's stance has softened. This is so wrong on their part, and justice should, and will be served soon. Those deaths of children and others, is on the GB and WTS. The BLOOD is on their heads, and they will be judged for it, mark my words, its coming.

• Simon
    Simon

They seem to have abandoned it in all but name. From accounts I've heard, the hospital liaison committee spend as much time now convincing people they can have blood based treatments as they ever did preventing them.

They keep the "no whole blood" to avoid appearing like they have abandoned one of their most well known and high profile doctrines but allow the 99.9% constituent treatments.

• TD
    TD

I respectfully disagree. There is a monumentally much more loaded and commitment-driven history of protest, deaths, "escaping" from hospitals, "kidnapping" children from hospitals and so on with the blood-ban than there ever was with the vaccination-ban.

I would agree that there is way too much water under the bridge for the blood ban to be dropped outright.

The JW parent organization could very truthfully observe that every single biblical prohibition concerning blood is about whole blood alone. Fractions of all types including the so-called "primary components" therefore cannot be argued from the bible and consequently fall into the grey area of individual conscience.

This would simultaneously allow them to save face and greatly reduce the size of the monster they've created.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I could see them holding fast to the old party line with all the old doctrines but making some kind of announcement to the effect that this wicked worldly system of things has gotten so corrupt and is ready to find a way to prevent the preaching activity to continue, which is our main purpose. In view of this, our spiritual strategy is for the Elders to contain their spiritual guidance and authority to within the walls of the Kingdom Hall and no longer be regulating the activities of individuals rather, letting each one stand before Jehovah on his own merit. From now on the Elders will be focusing 100% on organizing the preaching activity and the meeting programs.
  • Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

All they have to do imo is this:

1. Stop taking any action against individuals who accept blood products.

2. Issue a statement that the technology has become so advanced they simply cannot keep up with it. They can continue to say that the Bible tells us to "abstain from blood" and it is incumbent upon the individual to discuss the matter with his doctor and act in good conscience.

3. If they are asked why they no longer DF or DA (perhaps in a Questions From Readers), they repeat item number two above and could also add that the WTS cannot afford to be drawn into legal responsibility for the actions of individual JWs and/or their doctors.

I could probably refine these arguments further, but that is essentially how I believe it would be done. It would take a number of years for the average JW to understand what really happened. Perhaps the majority would miss it completely. They simply quit writing and giving talks about it, the same way they quit all of the silliness on vaccinations.

Would there be some lawsuits? Probably some would try, but I don't think it would be anything like the nightmare they are dealing with on child abuse.

The upside for the WTS? They lose one of the primary criticisms that causes them to be labeled as a dangerous cult. The eliminate future liability. They make it easier to attract converts. They free up all of the resources currently committed to HLC and HIS.

If and when they are sued, they can either say that their policy really hasn't changed. They still teach JW's to abstain from blood. I think it would work and ultimately be a plus for the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit