13 year anniversary

by gerry 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• gerry
    gerry

Today marks 13 years since my wife and I have stepped inside a Kingdom Hall. After 29 years full on being a JW and a number of years serving as an elder then as the presiding overseer we pulled the plug. Yes 13 years ago coming home from the first day of a circuit assembly I said to my wife “that’s it I am not going back”. Fortunately my wife was in agreement and we have not stepped into a Kingdom Hall since.

I have posted here a couple of times and have not introduced myself so apologies for being reticent. I would like to say thanks to those who have made this site possible and for all the interesting posts. In the early stages of waking up this and other sites were very helpful.

Looking back to the first time I delved into the world of apostate sites on the internet was quite hilarious. Mind you we only had dial up internet speeds in our country so pages would load very slowly.

Well one of the first sites was Free Minds. So I apprehensively clicked on the link. Very slowly the page started to reveal what I thought to be a demons eye peering back at me. With that I shut the page down. That is rather embarrassing now when I think about it. Fortunately my curiosity allowed me to return to the site and it opened up a whole new world.

We successfully faded. JW life was, we thought erased from our lives as we made new friends. However the Australian Royal Commission has fired us up. We cannot believe the quality of the information on the internet exposing the Watchtower. Maybe I will add my voice soon as I have thought about making some posts.

Thanks Simon and all involved in this site.

13 year

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

gerry: The first time I came here I thought the demons were attacking me in my bed

that night. It turned out I had late night snack, something that didn't agree with me.

Happy for you and your wife.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Glad your wife was in agreement and welcome.

• dbq407
    dbq407

So what was the tipping point during that assembly that made you quit?

Its nice hearing from ex elders and higher ups so please share stories.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Congrats.

13 years out and still hung up on WTBTS bitter stuff?

Hotel California! You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave.

DY

• blondie
    blondie

It has been 15 years for us, every Sunday I lay in bed and smell my husband making waffles knowing we can spend time in joyful things.

Congrats, I left in the middle of a circuit assembly. I had reached my level of BS.

It is never out of order to be concerned about the sexual abuse of children.

• freddo
    freddo

Please post more often gerry!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Congratulations on 13 years. Make sure you walk under a ladder and let a black cat cross your path. Maybe break a mirror on the next Friday the 13th (January).

I am always finding another milestone to celebrate. This summer marks 10 years since I resigned as an elder and started my fade.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

gerry I love reading the stories of ex-elders. You are the ones who know that all the horror stories we read about are true, you guys are on the front lines and behind the scenes. Congrats on celebrating your freedom! 🌷

• gerry
    gerry

dbq407

tipping point was when one of the speakers at the assembly read Isaiah 5:20 "Woe to those who are saying that good is bad and bad is good, those who are putting darkness for light and light for darkness, those who are putting bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter"

I had been involved in exposing an elder for touching up young girls. The investigation had been ongoing for over a year because of dispute that was going on within the body of elders. The circuit overseer and elders from other congregations got involved. However because I had stood down some years before I was not aware of the infighting that had been going on in our body of elders.

Apparently the elder I had accused had recently been assigned to our congregation by the circuit overseer to sort out two of our elders who had disfellowshipped children. One of the elders stood down, however the presiding overseer dug his heels in and and refused to stand down. It did not matter to the CO that the presiding overseers young adult daughter had been sexually abused as a child and needed his help.

Anyway my allegations came in the midst of the elders dispute. Any elder here will know the situation within a body especially when there are only 3 elders. The elder I had accused had one elder as a buddy and they ganged up on to the presiding overseer. And because the Presiding Overseer took up the investigation he was accused of having an axe to grind.

Anyway just over one year goes by and I am at what would be my last assembly. The circuit overseer was going to meet with the District overseer to discuss this issue.

During the lunch break this elder I had accused comes up to me with a smirk and says to me "ha ha the District Overseer says I have done nothing wrong!"

That scripture came up in the next talk.. That was it. That was the sign for me to cut the ties. I was now unplugged.

thanks for well wishes. I remember Blondie from my first lurks to this site many years ago. always insightful.

cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit