Lawsuit: I said GB member Barr that my Bethelite stepfather abused me; he did nothing

by Corney 33 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Like I said it all comes down to documentation. The proof is in the pudding.

• Simon
    Simon
    Agreed. I just meant if he wasn't there it immediately rules her testimony as false, no?

Yes, it's a potentially watertight alibi, but the lack of such an alibi doesn't prove guilt.

Accusations need evidence.

• Festus
    Festus

Yes I agree. This case sounds like something from a bad movie.

However the plaintiff is represented by Zalkin law firm.

I have difficulties to believe that they would take a case if it would be complete rubbish.

But it will be interesting to follow. I understand more profound D Splaine´s talk as well.

I mean "brothers of Governing Body" connected to something like this!!!!

Maybe truth really is stranger than fiction.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

First of all, memories are weird, especially at that age. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of it was true, the GB back then would frequently dine communally with other Bethelites.

I remember sitting with ~20 people at a table for dinner and the table was headed by a more senior Bethelite, occasionally someone from the writing department or zone overseer, especially if there were visitors at the table would be the “captain”.

They stopped allowing kids on these work-at-Bethel in the mid 90s and I’m not sure they even allow anyone at all at this point unless you are actually appointed, but back in the day entire groups from congregations would go only vetted by local elders.

I am sure that if she was at one of these, she’d occasionally run into a higher up. They would do “lowly things” like volunteer to do bathroom cleaning just to show they were humble, their whole persona is staged. I never talked to them, but the story seems believable, they at least pretend that your personal issues are something they truly care about.

You can see that in the letters from that era, if you had a question and sent a letter, they would at least pretend that the entire GB had a big meeting about it and then answered the question.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

She was an adult why didn't she go to the police?

• careful
    careful

Thanks Corney for this report.

nowwhat?, she was told by "God's organization" not to go to the cops! As someone raised in and probably very naive, she believed it.

If this story ever really got out to the R&F, the repercussions would be huge.

• DNCall
    DNCall

I believe this case could be devastating to Watchtower, especially if it goes to trial.

I knew and worked with Bill Briggs, his wife and daughter when they were shooting and editing videos for Watchtower. His first major release was also the first major release of a video by Watchtower. It was entitled "Jehovah's Witnesses--The Organization Behind the Name." Bill also shot and edited the second major release, the first in a series of three videos on the Bible. I, like Bill, worked under the supervision of Ted Adams. I was one of the music composers assigned to these projects. If memory serves, Bill was not present at Bethel for the second and third installments of the Bible series. At some point Belhelites and some Witness professionals that Bethel became aware of took over the duties that Bill had performed. I asked Ted about Bill's conspicuous absence and he told me Bill's wife had left him and that Bill was no longer in the US. I believe Ted mentioned his moving to Central or South America.

Watchtower sent Bill all over the world to shoot. I am speculating that possibly the complaint to Garret Losch occurred some place other than the US Branch as, at times, Bill's wife and daughter accompanied him in his travels.

The two witness rule likely explains why nothing was done and Bill didn't lose his privileges.

It will be interesting to see if Watchtower answers or demurs to this complaint. Their response is due shortly or maybe even past due given the filing date of August 13.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

If this is true, they are "done like a dinner".

RB

• Gorb
    Gorb

What a mess. Remembering the new media in the early 90's. What "a blessing" it was.

G.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

This doesn't make sense. "From approximately 1982-1988, when PLAINTIFF was approximately 10-16 years old"

"Plaintiff was assigned to work various jobs, including, assisting with video production, working in the laundry facility, and as an elevator operator"

How can someone 10-16 years old be assigned those jobs at Bethel?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit