Encounter with a long time elder. (Jehovah's happy people)

by freddo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I see this in my siblings and a friend who got in touch a while ago. One sister has type two diabetes, the other has fibromyalgia and ME and my brother has piled on the weight and looks very depressed.

The friend, her husband is blind in one eye from neglecting glaucoma for a year and is still driving to do his work! She's struggling with doing housework for a living. They're both in their sixties.

All crying out for the new system, just living day by day waiting for J to put an end to their trouble. Yet I'm convinced all their illnesses are caused by the sheer exhaustion of following that religion! The solution is to quit the cult and live their own lives. Concentrate on looking after their health, earning a living and enjoying life as much as they can.

This religion creates problems for people so that it can then present them with a solution. Only without the religion there wouldn't be half the problems and they wouldn't be looking to the fantasy solution which never comes.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    This religion creates problems for people so that it can then present them with a solution. Only without the religion there wouldn't be half the problems and they wouldn't be looking to the fantasy solution which never comes.

Xanthippe you are so right.

I just think of the "myriads and myriads" of better decisions I could have made if I didn't think the big A was right around the corner and it didn't matter.

It was so easy to take the easy road, don't work hard, don't think of retirement, or education, or health, or fulfillment.

In some ways, its just as bad as the potheads I knew in school who just gave up on everything, for that quick high.

Just go out in service (easiest job in the world) and do your best at meetings (2nd easiest job in the world).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TTDTT:

Thank you for being honest about the REAL reason people in the JW religion don't want to "work hard, don't think of retirement..etc."

It was FAR easier and more pleasurable to go out in service and go to meetings. You are also correct with your comparison of it to potheads who gave up on everything for a quick high. Sorry to any JWs who are offended by this.

I'm sure it was wonderful for these Witnesses not to deal with rude "worldly" people and demanding bosses. They spent their days in a controlled environment around other JWs who were obliged to be polite to them because REAL life isn't like that... It must have also been great going to special gatherings that I was never invited to because I worked full time and considered not "spiritual" enough.

Of course, Witnesses who took this easy route are suffering now that they are older. I wish them all the best of luck getting help from their so-called spiritual friends and the "system" they despise so much.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWs are people who are living on delusions and ignorance which puts a blight onto their own living conditions and experience.

I have known numerous JWS who got old into their senior years with no savings for retirement... why ?

because the WTS told them they didn't have to, rather it would be better to give their extra money to the organization.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

If we'd only known that there would be a further in gathering of the anointed ones in the 1980s we could have all jumped on the bandwagon and be living in the luxurious hotel / retirement retreat that the new GB have created for themselves.

But having learned TTATT late in life our health has already been shattered both physically and mentally. It's enough to make us cry.

• freddo
    freddo

now what? wrote: (bold added by me)

"The 1960's were very turbulent times. It sure looked like bible prophecy was being fulfilled. If the end was to come surely it would have by that time. And when it didn't happen in 1975 the conventional wisdom for most was ,so what if we have to wait a few more years we have the absolute promise that the 1914 generation would not pass away. Goes to show you can make the bible say whatever you want"

That, in a nutshell is EXACTLY why so many of us carried on (or are now hanging on). Brilliantly put ...

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill
    Goes to show you can make the bible say whatever you want"

Put a good spin doctor on the job, and the possibilities are endless! (Happliy, though, the current lot of GB members aren't up to the task).

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

JW's always say that they need the new system real quick to put an end to their woes. It's sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit