I love this quote

by Mulan 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I went to a convention last weekend, for one of my suppliers. At one of the trainings, the speaker gave a quote from Bertrand Russell, that I thought was pretty profound: "I would never die for any of my beliefs, because I could be wrong."

That just really hit me. How many of us have said we would die for our faith...............things change so often...........we could have made a disastrous mistake.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

So true, Mulan.

There have been plenty of families connected with the JWs that have allowed that situation to happen to them. All I can do is give them my sympathy and teach my children how not to be a "true believer".

Hugs,

j2bf

• obiwan
    obiwan

I have something to go with that Mulan. Think about all those people in concentration camps who swore thier oath to the wts, what they had to suffer. And what of the people all around the earth who died because of the wts and thier dogma....so sad.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hey there mister Kanobe I remember seeing one of those forms the Natzi's wanted JW's to sign..If I remember right he called it a quack religion. Have you seen that anywhere?

Mulan at the DC this summer they related all the wonderful heartrwarming experiences of ones who suffered abuse, beatings and attempted murder by ones faithful to Jah. Mercy not sacrafice was all I could think of......and how many of these ones stood firm under trial for changing doctrines. BTW how are you and your family doing?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Great quote! JW's would never think that "they might be wrong" though... not until the crusty mind control shell gets a crack in it.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Awesome quote!

I would die to help other people, or to avoid hurting them. I don't think I'd die for an abstract belief.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Here in Angola

Al Stewart

can't deal with all this undergrowth talk
    It just trips my feet and tangles up my thoughts
    You're trying to sell me your new faith
    Tell me why you'd do it
    And your hands are clenched
    And you're talking low
    With your eyes like flames
    Your voice like snow
    Someone dug a pit for you
    and you fell right into it.

Tell me how the universe was meant to be
    Take another sip of your cola
    You be the colonel of the cavalry
    I'll be Francis Ford Coppola
    We'll go together through the jungle night
    'Til the moon and stars fade out of sight
    Waiting for the dawn to come
    Here in Angola

I can't remember how you got this way
    I can still recall you in a younger day
    The earnestness still drips off you like butter
    And you fling round words in a holy war
    And you look so vague, but seem so sure
    Don't you ever just want to break right down and stutter

'Til the moon and stars fade out of sight
    Here in Angola

Ah, why don't you let it go
    Ah, you'd be too wise to know
    That time will get you anyway
    It's at your door today.

I can't deal with these periscope views
    And the caveman scrawl that you call news
    Hey, why don't you make a not to cancel your next visit
    Well, I knew that things were getting out of control
    When you found your faith and lost your soul
    If there's something you'd rather die than compromise
    What is it?

As the moon and stars fade out of sight
    Here in Angola

• gumby
    gumby

my beliefs

A belief is something you think is correct.

It's the " you think" part that you have to consider. If there were 5 men lined up in a row and you had to pick the one that raped you and your desicion would be eternal prison for the guy, ..........would you let "you think" be the determining factor? You probably would not say you knew for sure if you weren't sure but kind of thought you were.

Your own life shoud be more important to you I would think in a normals persons thinking,....so why would you bank on a story of faith determine your eternal salvation or any other life changing pursuit......that could possibly harm you or others in some way?

Gumby

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would give my life for one of my kids or my grandchildren, because their lives are so new, but a belief? No way. Not now.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I remember having my baby and thinking I would die rather than have a transfusion, she at least would live albeit without a mother. How my thinking has changed now............. I would never consider such a stupid idiotic thing like that again!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit