Would you ever......?

by ctrwtf 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

List as an accomplishment on a resume, "I escaped from a mind control doomsday cult?"

Sometimes when I reflect on it, the magnitude of this accomplishment amazes me.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Probably not. While it's quite an accomplishment it has a certain stigma...
  • just fine
    just fine

No, although I am proud of myself for having the strength to leave it's a personal issue, not a professional accomplishment.

A mentor I had early in my career advised against discussing it with anyone at work as it could make me appear naive and gullible, for ever having been a part of it. That advice has served me well in my professional life.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''List as an accomplishment on a resume, "I escaped from a mind control doomsday cult?"

Sometimes when I reflect on it, the magnitude of this accomplishment amazes me'''

To have the means(strength) to leave the Borg, has great notoriety!!! I'd have to say in the J-dub world(all ex's and active/involved JW's) would understand with great conviction putting ''I escaped from a mind control doomsday cult''. Every Ex JW in the world appreciate that on the resume, people who are not or never were in the Borg could never appreciate that, in fact they might even disqualify you from the application process. Every person who is/was a JW would understand, but every person who was never a JW could never understand.

• SAHS
    SAHS

But for the promotion of something like a book, should you choose to go that route, or for, say, the subject of a talk show or news article highlighting your struggle with escaping a cult such as the Watchtower, then I must say that you should definitely share with others the exact nature of what you’ve had to deal with. Doing so would be quite cathartic for yourself, and would also serve as a validation for those who have suffered similarly and a warning to those who might very well be able to avoid having to suffer as such at all from the get go.

• zeb
    zeb

... and I now have a sensible positive view of life, my work and people I meet".

Perhaps add this.

• baker
    baker
    like spotting big foot, don't bring it up
  • David_Jay
    David_Jay

No, because that is also admitting you joined a cult.

Would you hire somebody who you knew once joined a cult if you had to choose between others who have never been in a cult and someone who has?

Would you listen to the opinion of someone who has been in a cult, even though they are out, or would you not always be second-guessing them?

When they talk about their new religion or new conviction or whatever views they had, wouldn't you always be thinking, "Yeah, you're so sure you are right now, but didn't you say the same thing when you were in that cult and trying to get me to join it? Why should I believe you now when you say you're sure you aren't being duped when you swore the same thing as a Jehovah's Witness?"

Yeah. Believe me. It's not a good thing.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I would certainly find away to list the skills I used to exit the cult, and apply those skills to the relevance of the application.

The Rebel.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    I agree with the consensus. To publicly admit you were a JW is like partially undressing at an interview to show your prospective employer a vast and hideous surgery wound, you may be able to cope with life but what would he or she think of you? Surely it's better simply to take justifiable but private pride in having escaped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit