The Gentile Times Reconsidered Recommendation

by Jules Saturn 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I've been trying to get my hands on this book and read a review that I thought was interesting. An anonymous person reviewed the book on Barnes and Noble and said

"Jonsson book deals with Babylonian Tablets. These tablets are written in Akkadian. The problem here is that Carl Jonsson don't know Akkadian. Also, some of these tablets that he refer to has problems. So, how can someone write a book about something in Akkadian that he can't understand."

They gave it 1 star and I wanted to ask if anyone could verify this and if they've read it and would recommend it to read? Thank you.

~Jules

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

I have Sign of the Last Days: When? by Carl Olof Jonsson and it was pretty solid. While I can't weigh in on his other book, I just want to say I appreciate your intellectual honesty and fairness when it comes to exploring all sides of an argument/idea.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

@Wake Me Up

Yeah that's really important to me, I'm trying to not be biased at all and trying to dissect fact and what is true and what isn't true. Thanks for the insight on Jonsson's other book though

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here is an online copy of GTR (version 4, the most recent version). I thought it was very well written. He amasses such a huge amount of evidence against the 607 date of the destruction of Jerusalem. If I remember correctly, he has about 17 different lines of evidence pointing to 587. I highly recommend it.

Incidentally, I believe this is a legitimate copy.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Jonsson's fourteen watertight arguments against 607 BCE as the date for the destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar was so compelling that he was disfellowshipped for his scholarly pains!

Jules, one person's comment is an insufficient canvass of opinion and the Akkadian writings, particularly the relevant astronomical records in question, are accessible in translation today.

The other element of this matter is that all academic historians know that the date was 587 BCE but the GB think they know better. Not only do they believe in an inerrant Bible without evidence. . . but they believe their in-house, historically ordained and private mythology of 607 BCE, contrary to factual evidence. That's a cult for you!

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

@Bobcat

Thanks so much for the recommendation and that online copy.

@Half banana

Yeah I've read quite a bit about him but wanted to dig deeper into his writings regarding his arguments about 607. I've read a bit of his rebuttals he wrote regarding what the Society wrote about when Jerusalem was destroyed in October/November 2011 and I thought it was pretty good, at least what I've read so far

• JeffT
    JeffT

I own the book. He's working from generally accepted translations, which is fine when working on ancient manuscripts. How many Watchtower writers speak/read Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic? If knowing the original language is the standard why listen to JW's?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Jules

Carl Johanssan "don't know Arkkadian"

Fred Franz " don't know Hebrew or Koine Greek"

This illiterate guy is obviously a JW troll.

Johanssan's book is about as thoroughly researched work as you could find. It's a "must read" for all exjw's and I for one thoroughly recommend it. After 3 decades of research Johanssen's lines of proof do rest mainly on the cuneiform tablets, which it is true he cannot read however the book is prefaced with a quote from Professor Cagni of the University of Naples, a professor of Assyriology who states that he was "overcome with feelings of deep admiration and a deep satisfaction with the way the author has dealt with the subject". He is not the only academic similarly impressed and you must realise Carl spent much time corresponding with experts in the fields he covers in his book.

It's a classic. Read it if you get the opportunity.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

@Diogenesister

I was thinking that actually, thanks a lot though for the recommendation

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill
    The problem here is that Carl Jonsson don't know Akkadian. Also, some of these tablets that he refer to has problems

To put things very mildly, this reviewer casts grave doubts on his own abilities, before picking apart anything Carl Johnsson may have said!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit