What is the vow of poverty

by Jafox 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jafox
    Jafox
    I was told by someone that in 2007 two members of the branch committee in Greece were removed because they breached the Vow of Poverty. The matter was over a small amount, in the range of a few hundred EURO. Is there a copy of this vow available and how would this be applied here?
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

Branch Organization Manual

Chapter 1 1-4 pg.8

43. The Worldwide Order is an unincorporated associa-
    tion made up of all those in special full-time service
    throughout the world. Members of the Worldwide Order
    are baptized ministers in special full-time service who
    perform whatever assignment they receive from the
    Worldwide Order. Each member of the Worldwide Order
    signs a Vow of Obedience and Poverty (“Vow”), which is
    a voluntary commitment made by each member. The
    Worldwide Order sees to it that each member of the Or-
    der receives basic necessities, regardless of the mem-
    ber’s assignment or the legal entity through which the
    member serves.

Everyone in "Special Full-Time Service" signs.

• Jafox
    Jafox

Thank you for that branch manual, but is there a copy of the actual vow that is signed or is it general? Are there specifics that are mentioned therein? There must be copies out there of the actual "vow" and what things like gifts etc are allowed?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

The vow is mostly used so that everyone who enter the order knows what the responsibilities are towards that order. I don't get why so many people on this site is so irritated to this vow. The people who sign it is free to sign it or not, they are of majority age and have read it and agreed to it. No one forces anyone to enter into this vow, if someone doesn't want to they are free to do so, they just won't be in special full time service.

• NikL
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The GB are now taking a 'Vow of Property'!

just saying!

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

When they entered special full time service, they did. The vow, at least in the US, only applies to income derived from work. Income derived from retirement, investment or other means does not violate the vow.

• Jafox
    Jafox

Thank you for that link. But I still cannot see how that got the two from Greece removed.

Basically I was told get to know someone for a "study" in order to find out about certain things that took place to someone in Berlin (basically he is old friend and the Berliners did this https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/301257-secretly-spying-through-walls-in-apartment/)

Time for the remedy in the courts has run out, but he still feels that one of the people who was involved and who should have stopped this very early on is reprehensible. I was told that there is a bit of moolah for me if I can show that this person is in breach of their vow and how I came to find out about what happened in Greece (some king of kickbacks from construction I am told).

So how would one be found in breach of the vow and removed from their assembly hall?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

In the US, it means that if you sign the vow you can't have another job. As an example, a Bethelite wouldn't be allowed to have a night job at a McDonalds or something like that. The only way to earn extra money would be to use a vacation day to do a side odd job. I'm guessing it's similar in other countries.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Wasn't there something in that vow that stated IF they made outside money they were to turn it over to the WTBTS.

It's hard to believe this but it seems that I had read that somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit