YMCA?

by LifesNotOver 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Such openness, honesty and transparency are unfamiliar to The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society.

Clearly, the YMCA sees itself as "a world-wide Christian, ecumenical... movement."

Based on this, I would suppose that unless the WTB&TS has undergone a major shift in attitude, any JW who joined the YMCA today might be subject to disfellowshipping for being allied with an organization that is "in opposition" to Jehovah's Magic Kingdom.

• Wayward
    Wayward

I remember this from the 80s. We weren't supposed to join the Y because it was the Young Men's CHRISTIAN Assiciation. Somewhere along the line, and I don't know when but by the early 90s, the thinking had changed. I knew of an elder who had a Y membership in the early 90s.

• Simon
    Simon

It is a great song, it was always taboo to even play it in our congregation because it was deemed "to do with gays". I know nothing of the real YMCA itself, I actually thought it was some gay organization probably because of the WTS upbringing.

Funny story about the song though ...

We went to a work xmas party a few years back and they had a stage hypnotist which I'd always thought were thoroughly fake until I saw the real people - they were not acting at all, completely out of it and under control.

Anyway, the guy ended the act with the dozen people hypnotized by telling them that later that night, when they heard the YMCA song start to play, that they would have the uncontrollable urge to dance and they could dance like John Travolta ... and as soon as they did, they would remember everything that had happened.

You were kind of waiting for the song then for the rest of the night ... and when it finally played, you saw all these people rushing to dance and then suddenly stand there looking shocked and puzzled before laughing.

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

Holy moly you guys are thorough! Thanks! Dare I ask about the YWCA? This is all very interesting. It's difficult for me to keep my mouth shut about this with my husband. I admit it, I spend too much time wanting to prove myself RIGHT about things (where has the embarrassed ie blushing emoticon gone?)

• steve2
    steve2

The YMCA in New Zealand is as secular as it can possibly get along with wider society. Very little reference to its Christian origins. I think the current breed of JWs would have no problem enrolling.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ten days ago, as noted in this thread, I sent an email to the US YMCA, and today I got a very brief and rather non-specific reply. It goes:

"Thank you for contacting YMCA of the USA. At the Y, we are very proud of our Christian heritage, which is expressed through our mission statement – To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all – and our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility, among other ways. This has not changed and will not change.

Catika Smith

Call Center Representative

YMCA OF THE USA

101 N Wacker Drive, Chicago IL 60606

(Toll Free) 800 872 9622 (W) ymca.net"

I told you I'd be back with the US YMCA reply and I keep my word.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I can tell you guys about a 100% true situation concerning the YMCA in my old congregation. I also want to add that this is a RECENT situation, literally as of 2 to 3 years.

There is an older sister in the cong, who NEEDS physical therapy for her knees, and legs. Her insurance would no longer pay for her physical therapy any longer. Its a shame because this therapy, supposedly really helped her. Unfortunately, this is a common practice of American insurance companies, where after an amount of time they refuse to pay for certain care.

Anyway, this sister learned to find that the YMCA in her local area, provided the exact type of therapy she needed FOR FREE. Some could even say, " this was a blessing from Jah ". Well, she joined and took advantage of the Y's free therapy.

From what I have gathered, she honestly didn't think it was "wrong", or probably it didn't even cross her mind. In fact she openly mentioned it to others in the cong. Well, word got back to the Elders, and she was spoken to, and told, THAT SHE SHOULD NOT BE A MEMBER AND RECEIVE THAT CARE ANY LONGER.

She was told that it is NOT approved from the society, and that it goes against Jahs' principles, or some bullshit like that. Also, that it was being part of an "unclean" false Christian organization.

This sister, and now her older husband, made it clear to the Elders, why she was going there. That she was simply getting free therapy for her ailment, and that it was really her ONLY option, other than paying THOUSANDS of dollars out of pocket, which was NOT an option.

It didn't matter to these Elders. They only cared about what "Mother org" said. They took into no consideration her physical condition, her welfare, or her financial issue.

So hypocritical for the Org to be in bed with the UN, but not allow a poor elderly sister to take advantage of free therapy at the YMCA. Shameful as always.

I assure you, THIS IS 100% TRUE. I PERSONALLY know this older sister. This absolutely did happen, and within a 2 to 3 years timeframe. This was in a cong in the NYC area too. Not some backwoods, or backwards cong, not in the "know"., making their own rules. Also, if I remember correctly, I believe it was even brought up to the CO when he visited, and he backed up the Elders decision.

Maybe in other congs, they do not care, and maybe in other parts of the country or world, it is a matter of conscience, but it was definitely FORBIDDEN in a cong in NYC, even when it concerned the very HEALTH of an older sister.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just within the last 4-5 years, a newly baptized JW in our (former) Cong was advised that he must resign his free member ship to the "Y" because of it's roots in false religion. If the WTS position has change, the local ElDubs didn't know about it. DOC

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Dunedain, do you know the status of that Sister? Was she disfellowshipped?

• sparky1
    sparky1

Dunedain..........perhaps you can get her local Elders to help this handicapped 'sister' join the United Nations. As a member, she will be entitled to a 'library card' where she can research new methods of therapy for her physical ailment. Who knows, the U.N. probably has it's own swimming pool and physical therapists on hand that she could take advantage of as a member for free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit