Last Memorial Experiences

by NoviceLocs14 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What's crazy is in the Bible there's a provision for someone to do the memorial at a later date if he could not do the first date. You were running around all over the city for nothing but of course you were never taught this. Now that your an atheist you see the stupidity in all of it! I found out it was a copy of a Osiris cult practice.

• NoviceLocs14
    NoviceLocs14

@Crazyguy I'm actually not an atheist but I have learned the error of my ways lol.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It was at least 12 years ago. Being a doctrine wonk, (I really devoted myself to understand the ins and outs of WT doctrine) it became clear to me that the memorial was for anointed ones. The "Great Crowd" came because it was "appropriate" for them to be onlookers. Since no covenant was made with me as a GC member, I had no guilt in not attending. It was no longer appropriate for me as a non believer.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Really, when we think about it, HOW did witnesses view those "submarine witnesses"? You know the disdainful opinion of those who "only surfaced once a year"!?

Why would a person choose to attend a function where you know most in attandance are looking down on you anyway?

• notalone
    notalone

2015- My husband had just had a medical emergency and suddenly lost part of his sight in one eye which had alerted the Doctors that he was going to have to have open heart surgery. We rushed there at the last minute. He was only in his forties and he had been raised in this Hall. Everyone could care less. We woke up by that fall.

2016- We found out the memorial was a black mass. We told our friends we were not going to tell anyone where we were going as the elders were hounding our friends for information about us. We held a commemoration of the last supper the night before Passover and we all partook.

• compound complex
    compound complex

This was my first Memorial deliberately missed. I missed one over 35 years ago when ill, but the elders came to my home afterwards to give me the highlights. About 18 years ago I was asked to leave on that occasion.

If I may tell you about My Most Memorable Memorial?

I was an elder and gave the talk. My entire family attended and, during the passing of the emblems, my mother partook. First time ever and thereafter until she died.

Was it the emotion of seeing and hearing her son give this most solemn discourse? Was it her Catholic upbringing stirring her spiritual yearnings?

Dad sure was upset . . .

• zeb
    zeb

just fine. We were away on a break at memorial time and attended a kh. I wore jeans.!

years later I had a mental breakdown. I camped out and did the memorial to myself. Later I had the (small 'p') pleasure of telling my interfering mother of this when she q'd me about not being there.

To any non jw here keep this fact fully in mind. The rank and file jw are all programed to see

• who is not there,
    • who is not there
    • who is with who and if someone is not there with wife/husband to note that and propagate it.
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My last Memorial attended was about 7 years ago. My father called me and encouraged me to go. He made it sound like a new outline was to be used and that it was of great importance to hear. So I decided to go.

This was the first Memorial using the new songbook and songs, which I had no idea even took place. I felt embarrassed. The song was one from the last songbook, but it was different. As in, not as good as the last rendition, different.

Next what I noticed was the outline was the exact same one I had for my entire life. That was it. I knew I was done.

The next day I got the courage to visit this website. My eyes were opened. I learned the truth about the Truth.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I got a hand job once during the memorial in the 80s. Other than that, nothing interesting.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I remember reading the sentence over and over : "Do this in remembrance of me". I couldn't help but notice that what we were in fact doing was very far from what Jesus did.

Jesus celebrated the Passover (shared a meal with his closed ones) after which he shared the bread and wine. He didn't rent a big hall where he made a long speech to hundreds of disciples asking the majority of them to stand by and watch respectfully while he shared the emblems with his 12 apostles.

It was simply the Passover with the addition of the emblems. What the JWs (and many other religions) do to celebrate this has nothing to do with that concept.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit