The 9/8 Awake - Well Crafted Deception!

by metatron 27 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Excellent points, waiting

Unlike 'not letting your left hand know', they seem to keep careful track of HOW MANY

they "benefit", as if for reporting later. I noticed this in the 9/11 reports too. They seemed

a little too rehearsed or precise

metatron

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

"Many non-Witnesses also benefited." That's interesting........HOW did they benefit?

Need you ask? Of course, they benefited by the marvelous sight of the wonderful works of kindness being performed by the Wonderful Witnesses of Jehovah. They benefited by just absorbing the kharma of that loving compassion, which they observed at a distance no doubt, since they weren't the firsthand recipients of the work being done. They benefited by the rays of goodness exuding from the compassionate JWs. B.S. and more Bull S.!

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Have you ever seen an article about disaster where the WTS praised NON-WITNESSES who pitched in and helped? I can't remember such an article. Correct me if I am wrong

Boozy

• blondie
    blondie

Just a brief search brought up this article. Actually, the WTS does print a few articles about the relief efforts of non-JWs. Usually there is a disclaimer that this is only a temporary fix.

3/8/87 Awake

pp. 3-4 The World Comes to the Rescue

By Awake! correspondent in South Africa

"ONE of the world’s greatest disasters." "The biggest disaster to strike the planet since World War Two devastated Europe." That is how different authors describe Africa’s recent famine.

"In one year," claims the magazine Newsweek, "as many as 1 million Ethiopian peasants and 500,000 Sudanese children died." In Mozambique a hundred thousand people are reported to have perished, and for a time, a thousand died each month in Chad.

The world came to the rescue, but for countless Africans it was too late. In some cases the delay was caused by officials who concealed the true extent of the famine. The ignoring of hungry citizens contributed to the overthrow of the Sudanese government in 1985.

In March 1984, Ethiopia appealed to the world for 450,000 tons of emergency grain. This was no exaggeration, for the actual need was twice that amount. Yet the United Nations and its member states paid little heed. Less than 100,000 tons of grain was offered, at a time when world grain surpluses approached 190,000,000 tons! To make matters worse, the small supplies of food took months to arrive. Meanwhile, people were starving. The death toll in one relief camp reached a hundred per day.

Then in October 1984 a British television crew was delayed while waiting for a change of planes in Ethiopia. They used the time to visit relief camps and filmed humans starving to death. "I cried when I was editing this film," said cameraman Mohammed Amin. "I actually broke down and cried."

A

Dramatic Response

The film was shown on BBC television news and repeated on 425 networks throughout the world. Its effect was dramatic. An angry public demanded government action. Pop musicians turned their lucrative trade into appeals for charity and, to date, have raised over a hundred million dollars! All this publicity resulted in one of the greatest relief programs the world has ever seen.

Shipments of surplus grain began pouring into Africa. Governments of Europe cooperated in an airlift of food deep into Sudan. Even more remarkable was the joint operation to get food to the highlands of Ethiopia. In his book Ethiopia: The Challenge of Hunger, Graham Hancock described the scene at Addis Ababa’s Bole Airport: "Aircraft with Russian, American, East German, British and a medley of other markings were lined up on the apron loading emergency food supplies . . . It was like a vision of all the lofty principles that the United Nations stands for suddenly brought to life, and I could almost hear the swords being beaten into ploughshares."

Though late, the world’s response to Africa’s need is said to have saved over three million lives! But, sadly, Africa is still short of food. According to recent reports, millions in Ethiopia, Sudan, and Mozambique face starvation. ‘Why,’ you may wonder, ‘is Africa unable to feed itself?’ And even more important, ‘What is the real solution?’

[Picture

Credit Line on page 3]

FAO photo

• Mary
    Mary
    Have you ever seen an article about disaster where the WTS praised NON-WITNESSES who pitched in and helped? I can't remember such an article.

Notice how that ONE article in the '87 Awake! gives an almost dry, sterile report on the efforts of non-Witnesses? No comparison to the back-patting they always give themselves. To their credit, the Witnesses ARE generally well organized when it comes to pitching in during disasters, and there's no denying that they've helped people, but what is so irritating is that they are constantly praising THEMSELVES as though they are the only people on the planet who help during disasters. Any "worldly" efforts and usually no more than a passing thought.

I've always thought how much better the Organization would be perceived if they did charity work on a regular basis. Instead of getting 6 million members to go out and knock on people's doors every Saturday morning, pissing them off, if they said "hey, two Saturdays out of each month, we're going to spend doing charity work." It could be cooking food for Soup Kitchens, spending time with the elderly, the handicapped, orphans, it could be teaching someone a skill so they could get a job, or help out some mother who's got 5 kids, by babysitting or something like that.

Can you imagine how many people this action would help? Not only that, but I found far more satisfaction doing charity work than what I ever did banging on doors.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

It would make all the difference in the world if JWs worked towards improving their communities and helping their neighbors. The only reason I can think of for banning that is that JWs would get to know and care about their communities and neighbors and we can't have that, now, can we.

• Perry
    Perry

Good work Metatron. Of course charity by Jehovah's Witnesses is discouraged and very much goes against the grain of their world view. The view is that most people will be destroyed by God and they are "not to let their eye feel sorry" (Ezeikel Something). Furthermore, God has endowed them with the uncanny ability to determine who will be annilated and who will not. This view discourages compassion and normal human emotions. The believer simply views himself as an observer of the sentences God metes out, even if they originate from their own minds or leaders ....thus making them God (like).

Most witnesses are basically good people that with a different view (say a christian one or many others in fact), would probably be involved with many more charitable works.

Knowing that the motive and the subsequent actions are lacking; many members following the lead of Brooklyn, feel compelled to vainly attempt to breach this circular intellectual merry-go-round by raising small acts of kindness to the front of people's consciousness.

How much more honest it would be if people simply stated the truth...... "God is going to kill them all anyway; Why bother?)

• acsot
    acsot

gcc:

The elder in question became a witness after he was already married; she "agreed" to continue living with him. He's considered to be fine, sterling example of Christian endurance and self-sacrificing love. Of course, the JW women married to unbelievers don't receive the same kind of accolades .

Ac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit