Anyone else heard this?

by BoogerMan 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

The other day, I chatted to an elderly woman and her daughter who was about 45-50. Total strangers.

We were discussing Covid when the daughter said, "My neighbor studies with JW's, and the JW's told her 3 months before the virus started, that they had to stop going from door to door because something was coming."

I've never heard anything like this before - have you?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I've never heard anything like this before - have you?

Yes, I have. Many times. Perhaps not that exact one, but I hear LIES every day, and that is just another one.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

One thing JWs definitely don't have....is the gift of prophecy.;

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    One thing JWs definitely don't have....is the gift of prophecy.;

Ha ! That's an idea....ask them to challenge their neighbour on the many times watchtower is on record as getting things badly wrong. Next week's Bible study will be cancelled.

It was only a matter of time before they predicted the pandemic! Ask them to find it in print and they won't.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Define before. The government panic and confusion went on the whole time.They had a circuit assembly here and said don't shake hands. Then started meetings with only participants attending. Then a abandoned in person.

Locally they are still requiring masks by peer pressure and wiping everything every meeting.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS gives them an out regarding their understanding prophecy right here: Current statements in 2020:

April 2020 WT Study magazine, p. 2

As those Bible students soon found out, however, it can be one thing to learn what the Bible teaches about a certain doctrinal subject but quite another to discern correctly the meaning of a Bible prophecy. Why is that so? For one thing, Bible prophecies are often best understood when they are undergoing fulfillment or after they have been fulfilled.

** w11 12/1 p. 12 Who Can Interpret Prophecy? ***

“Interpretations belong to God” also in that he determines and directs when a prophecy is to be understood by his faithful servants on earth. The meaning of a prophecy can be discerned before, during, or after its fulfillment. Since God tied up the prophecies, he will unravel them at the right time—his time.

Or this: *** w11 12/1 p. 12 Who Can Interpret Prophecy? ***

The inspired prophets of old, such as Daniel, did not personally analyze the current trends of their time and then attempt to unravel a complicated future by uttering a prophecy. If they had tried to force the future to unfold in this way, such prophesying would have originated in their own imagination. It would then have been a human prediction, a forecast built upon an imperfect foundation.

Or this: w04 2/1 p. 21 par. 13 "The Scene of This World Is Changing" ***

Since Bible prophecies are often fully understood only after they are fulfilled or are in the process of fulfillment,
    we will have to wait and see.

w00 3/15 p. 13 par. 12 ‘O God, Send Out Your Light’ ***

Just as the apostles understood many prophecies concerning the Messiah only after Jesus’ death and resurrection, Christians today understand Bible prophecy in its finest detail only after it has been fulfilled.

• JeffT
    JeffT

the JW's told her 3 months before the virus started, that they had to stop going from door to door because something was coming.

"Something" is a big word. I'm predicting that "something" big will happen this fall. If the Republicans win big in the election I'll say "see, I predicted this." If the Democrats win big I will say "See, I predicted this." If the Mariners win the world series, everybody in Seattle would agree that was something. Maybe Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr announce a reunion tour. See how that works?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Second-hand anecdote of an elderly woman’s recollection of a conversation from over two years ago probably isn’t the most reliable source.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Anecdote from an unnamed source🤔 If the Witness said anything of the kind we know it was a lie.

The quotes that Blondie showed us are what I hear from believing relatives. I am bemused by them . Anybody can apply a prediction after it has happened…. The trick is to know it beforehand….. surely?

• joao
    joao

That's an easy one! Here in Portugal, our government, after knowing about what was going on in China and one or two other European countries, said it wouldn't reach us! But I could see they were wrong... And only some time after did the virus cross the Atlantic. So, am I a prophet or just someone who can use his head to think? The WT loves to take advantage of events to prove them right but it's very easy to predict anything AFTER it has occurred. It's just a matter of distorting facts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit