The danger of thinking we know everything.

by stuckinarut2 19 Replies latest jw friends

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Maybe they are all subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect... which can be explained like this:
    - The less you know, the more you believe you know.

- The more you know, the hardest is it to understand that other people do not know

- The more you know, the best you can assess your level of knowledge or ability.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    The more you learn you realise there is so much still left to learn. I'm baffled by people who think humanity knows everything. We're just scratching the surface of knowledge.
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The more I know, the more I realize how little the wt organization really knows spiritual things. What the early wt leaders, i.e. Russell and Rutherfraud, really knew was that religion was a good business. They taught their followers that they, and no one else had the 'troof' which made their followers very elite. The elite status of "knowing the troof" is very intoxicating. Sobering up and the 'hang over'--not so good!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Personally, if I ever found myself with an attitude that "I knew everything" I would have to acknowledge that not only had I become lazy and stopped learning new things, but also that I had become the ultimate liar.
  • Landy
    Landy

One area where for my part I feel this definitely is an important point, is in the field of evolution versus creation. How many program do I not watch where the evolutionists state that earlier, one did not quite understand how this or that was - but NOW we know how it is, NOW we have the full truth about it. And then, in about 20 years' time, another evolutionist will say exactly the same. I don't intend to hijack the thread, but me - I get angry when I hear about how the plants and insects and worms have figured things out and miraculously managed to overcome obstacles and have engineered new solutions whereupon the tree next door has managed to overcome this etc. NOW we know it, a decade ago we didn't.

That's science for you - a constant search and discovery, with knowledge and theories being refined all the time. Exciting isn't it! Ever since the ancient greeks (and probably before) man has been striving for a better understanding of the world around him.

• millie210
    millie210
    SecretSlaveClass
    Personally, if I ever found myself with an attitude that "I knew everything" I would have to acknowledge that not only had I become lazy and stopped learning new things, but also that I had become the ultimate liar

It isnt often one comes across a thread where you can appreciate each post but this thread seems to be it!
    I highlighted SSCs because it is exactly how I feel...the lazy part in particular.
    Nothing like a lazy liar is there? lol (shudder that I become that!)
    I think my biggest fear is to end my life knowing I didnt get "it". It being what makes things tick, go round, move forward, mesh together....you name it.
    That includes people, animals, the natural world, books, etc.
    I always want to know why. I dont want to ever stop asking why or feeling that curiosity about what could possibly be around the corner for me to learn
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I don't think I know everything.

I don't even know that I think everything.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Only a narrow minded fool thinks they know everything.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good point James Mixon. And yet the society expects every witness to accept the CURRENT TRUTH without question, or else face the consequences and punishments.

Yet those current truths can be changed in a blink of an eye.

So it is not TRUTH they want to share, but CONTROL and CONFORMITY.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Beware anyone claiming to have all the answers, even calling their collective beliefs 'THE truth', especially if return for sharing this knowledge they ask, no...require, no expect, no....demand nothing less than your obedience, unquestionable loyalty and....your money.

It may be wise to not ignore evidence of their past mistakes also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit