Politics and Hope

by lriddle80 53 Replies latest jw friends

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

So there are a lot of atheists on here.

My question: where does your hope come from? That the right people will be put in political positions and will eventually form a utopian society that will meet all needs and we will have equality for all?

Because we know that won't happen because people are always going to be divided and unsatisfied.

So where does that leave you?

• RickJones
    RickJones

My question: where does your hope come from?

Mankind's continuing acceptance and perseverance of knowledge about are selves and the world in which we live toward bettering the human experience.

There is a humanistic secular non religoius drive to improve things..

Look back in history to what you see today in most modernized countries in direct comparison from 100 years ago and you see something better for humanity.

Something better never comes from humanity using past ancient civilizations as emulating role models for social behavioral standards, for example the ancient Hebrew civilization of what can be read in the bible.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Utopian Society?

Fairy tales are for children.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

My question: where does your hope come from

Definition

Hope; a FEELING of expectation and DESIRE for a certain thing to happen.

When I was a little kid I use to Hope=DESIRE to one day fly like superman. But as I grew up I realized that all HOPE is --------is just a feeling and nothing more. It's not something tangible that actually comes true just because you wish it or desire it.

In my short little life, considering I'm still young, I've seen real good people hope in God that their cancer would go away. (They died) I've seen good parents hope in God, that their 5 year old daughter is found before it's to late. (She never came home) How many of the 350,000 people that died in the December 26, 2004 tsunami do you think were Hoping in God considering many has just celebrated the birth of Christ the day prior?

Because we know that won't happen because people are always going to be divided and unsatisfied.

Now you are predicting a future event and acting like a prophet. That's how religion starts. No Human can predict how humanity will turn out thousands of years from now.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I am confident in my prediction that people will always be unsatisfied and divided.

So, just getting better is the goal?

Just seems like people are demanding something more from political leaders than just "getting better" as a society. And then, there are different definitions of what it means to be "better." Different definitions on how to get "better." Some say all means necessary to their own end which is in direct contrast to another's end that they are using any means necessary to get. Division.

I guess I don't have much faith in humanity. I do have faith in individuals and I try to help as many as I can.

And I wasn't trying to start a fight, I genuinely am interested in what it's like to live with only this life as an option. Politics is "the answer" though, right? Besides individual responsibility?

• RickJones
    RickJones

Waiting on the imaginary gods of the ancients (YHWH) to cure humanity's woes, perils and troubles is an act of redundant futility.

Human interaction has been the only effective way to improve the human existence and experience.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Well my hope as far as politics come have already been versed here and mostly rejected by american posters. But simply put the world today is far better then a hundred years ago when empires ruled. Today even though indivisual people might be racist most developed countries are open to other people. I think with the exception of North Korea and the Muslim countries the majority of the world is doing far better today then ever. Sure there is starvation and plague. But what are you going to compare that too? 1919? the 1300s?

I would rather live today. The so-called nifty 50's of my father's youth were racist and christianised. Although I disagree with theists I would fight for their rights to believe.

My hope is that in 2120 we will look back and shake our heads at 2020 and before for the same reason we shake our heads at 1920 and before.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Pistol pete

What you are describing is called The Prosperity Gospel.

It's a false gospel that basically says God wants you to have Prosperity in this life! He wants you to be healed, it's your fault if you aren't because you don't have enough faith or money.

The truth of real christianity is that you might not get healed of cancer, a huge storm can wipe out a whole people group, your whole life can fall apart. But we feel like in this life, we have the holy spirit to comfort us through our trials (if you are a believer in Christ!). And the suffering in this life is not comparable to the joy in the life to come.

Life can be wonderful, it can be a waking nightmare!! That doesn't mean there is no God just because someone dies. We're all going to die.

But I just wanted to clear up the Prosperity heresy that's out there!

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    My question: where does your hope come from?

Do people "have" hope? As if its not attached to anything? Don't people hope "for" things? So, do you mean to ask something like "What do atheists hope for?"

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I agree! It's a great time to be alive in some ways. I think human connection was probably better in older civilizations or maybe it's just in America that we all seem a little disconnected in real life.

I was thinking about all of advances in technology and things like stoves and air conditioning. But now we have an advanced, maybe irreversible climate problem most likely caused by these advances, so I don't know it was such a good idea to become so advanced.

What humans want is to feel like they are accepted and are loved and to find a place to belong. Though I think now, faster internet speed and flying cars are high on the list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit