IS the bOrg running out of blokes to serve(tm)?

by punkofnice 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

From the silly website today....

Thursday, August 15
    God . . . energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act.​—Phil. 2:13.
    Courageous men who are willing to take on more responsibility are a blessing to a congregation. (1 Tim. 3:1) However, some may be reluctant to reach out. Perhaps a brother has made mistakes in the past, and now he feels that he is not worthy of being a ministerial servant or an elder. Another brother might have feelings of inadequacy about fulfilling an assignment. If you feel that way, Jehovah can help you develop courage. (Phil. 4:13) Remember, at one point, Moses did not feel qualified for an assignment. (Ex. 3:11) Yet, Jehovah helped him, and in time, Moses developed courage to accomplish the work. A baptized brother can develop similar courage by seeking God’s help in earnest prayer and by daily reading the Bible. Meditating on accounts of courage will also help. He can humbly ask the elders for training and make himself available to help in whatever way is needed. w17.09 32 ¶19

Here's my take...or part of it....

Courageous men

That looks a bit like ego stroking bait and switch to me.

who are willing to take on more responsibility

We’re running out of blokes to serve™ in the congo-abong-regations

are a blessing to a congregation. (1 Tim. 3:1)

Desirous of a fine work, are they? Appeal to authority used by way of 1st Timmy

However, some may be reluctant to reach out.

I should cocoa. Oh, wait for it!!!!!

Perhaps a brother has made mistakes in the past, and now he feels that he is not worthy of being a ministerial servant or an elder.

Just exactly does that mean? Surely not paedos???

Another brother might have feelings of inadequacy about fulfilling an assignment. If you feel that way, Jehovah can help you develop courage. (Phil. 4:13)

Further appeal to authority. Come on; we need more geezers to help out milking the sheeple.

Remember, at one point, Moses did not feel qualified for an assignment. (Ex. 3:11)

Bully for Moses. More appeals to authority……

Yet, Jehovah helped him, and in time, Moses developed courage to accomplish the work.

Yes. Moses himself says how great he is……if he even existed and wrote anything that is.

A baptized brother can develop similar courage by seeking God’s help in earnest prayer and by daily reading the Bible. Meditating on accounts of courage will also help. He can humbly ask the elders for training and make himself available to help in whatever way is needed. w17.09 32 ¶19

Yes. Why not read a book of fables and nonsense, talk to your imaginary friend in the sky and finally get validation from failed janitors and milkmen.

Are those bozos running out of blokes to do their dirty work?

• tiki
    tiki

As usual...BS...I say it's pretty smart to not "reach out"....

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Perhaps a brother has made mistakes in the past, and now he feels that he is not worthy of being a ministerial servant or an elder. Another brother might have feelings of inadequacy about fulfilling an assignment.

Or maybe instead of placing blame on the brother they should admit that nepotism and money are involved. If they want you in their boys club you will be admitted no matter what sins you practice or how inadequate you are. If they do not want you in their club, no matter how christian and righteous you are and no matter how qualified you are you will NEVER be admitted.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

Go to a convention nowadays and count how many sisters are serving as attendants.

• sir82
    sir82

I remember an elders school a number of years ago, where they bemoaned the fact that in the US, there were now more elders than ministerial servants. I.e., not so many young men were "reaching out".

Based on my observations, the issue is far worse today.

The average age of a congregation's body of elders is going up, up, up, there are more and more "honorary" elders who just retain the title but who really can't do anything practical like give talks or make shepherding calls due to failing health. And there are fewer & fewer MS's to replace them, and fewer and fewer guys who even want to be a MS.

There's no "B Team", there's no junior varsity. In [X] years, there's going to be a serious leadership vacuum. I just don't know if the [X] is 3, or 5, or 10.

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

I hope the [X] is as small as possible, and that the impending flood of lawsuits wipes out the whole organization. I'm sick of knocking on doors every Saturday morning. No matter how old I get, I'm buying a Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies DVD collection, a bulk supply of Cap'n Crunch cereal, and I'm taking back every Saturday morning that was stolen from me. Then I'll watch Tori Black.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

“Some men who have molested children in the past may feel unqualified to serve. Perhaps another brother may feel hesitant about accepting the responsibility of insulating the Governing Body from legal action by sacrificing themselves.”

DD 😇

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

So they want me to go back and serve that beady-eyed monster that is going to fully enslave the whole earth? First, let me go to several different Christmas decoration web sites so I can order a hall full of them. As soon as they come, I intend to put them all up, so anyone that is stupid enough to try and take them down will successfully end up getting hurt if they are that determined (or give up, if they are a little smarter, before getting hurt).

Sure is better than saving up for Israel missions and wasting the time in field circus. They can waste a whole day in field circus, while I put up the sun-worship decorations (that will be just left up all summer next year).

• Giordano
    Giordano

Interesting points Tate.

Apparently little to no appeal to serve for the more qualified. The whole Society thing is passing the congregations by.

Most churches in the USA are run by two or three people. That way they manage to keep the jerks out of the mix and give real volunteers regardless of sex some level of responsibility.

In the JW world the qualified sisters are not used.

Back in the day when I pioneered where the 'need was great' I served in a very small congregation in NW Pennsylvania of some 20 adults (children didn't count).

There were at least three sisters that had many years of service who could have been appointed to positions in that small congregation.

Instead there was the Presiding Minister and me. My role was described this way: I was the Assn't Presiding Minister, the Ministry School Servant, the Bible Study Servant ......when I wasn't giving the weekly one hour public talk somewhere in our large (area) circuit. And the Publishing Servant (handing out the magazines and books) and assigning territories for the door to door activity.

The three qualified sisters sweep the floor and cleaned the bathrooms.

Need I say more?

When I and my wife left the area I realized what a farce the organized WT was and that it was doomed. The door to door service was also a farce. When we knocked on a screen door in the summer what you heard on a weekend was the TV or radio tuned into one of those evangelism shows.

Back then the Society spent it's time on publishing books and magazines. Then legal problems and selling it's stock of Kingdom Halls after stealing them from the JW's who built and paid for their KH over some fifty plus years.

It's pretty much over for the JW's. They are now going down the pathway of the Christian Scientists..... who are down to 50,000 or so CS's and a bunch of empty store fronts and churches.

It's By By time for the WTBTS. See you......... wouldn't want to be you. It's now Court and settlement time for the WTBTS. After that....... nothing.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

The average age of a congregation's body of elders is going up, up, up, there are more and more "honorary" elders who just retain the title but who really can't do anything practical like give talks or make shepherding calls due to failing health. And there are fewer & fewer MS's to replace them, and fewer and fewer guys who even want to be a MS.

I smell some "new light" coming in the next decade or so. They'll go back to having a congregation "serivice directors" like in the days of Joseph Rutherford.

Lets not forget, Joe Rutherford (gods mouthpeice on earth) taught that the elder arrangemnt was unscriptural and that elders were "haughty" and "lazy". (Penton, Apocalypse Delayed)

I guess a broken clock is right at least twice a day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit