DESTROYING the Governing Body’s claim of authority

by TerryWalstrom 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

The Russel photo awaiting rapture on Olive tree in Jerusalem was taken on 24.april 1910 in palestine not on 1. Oct. 1914 (end of genitle times) Why they awaited the rapture to take place before 1914? And why would the rapture take place before the 1914 kingdom rule began? This is because of his belief in the pyramid calculations. Sorry if I am confusing someone perhaps we should better read the official explanations about the changes in the watchtower archives.

http://ctr-rlbible.com/?p=3133

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Great research. Although getting a JW to believe M Russell came up with the faithful and wise servant trick might be a stretch.

I was able to speak to a friend yesterday and get a tiny edge in on "authority". I asked him if jesus when he ascended said he has been given ALL authority in heaven and on earth (Matt 28:19,20). He agreed.

I then asked him if Jesus ever gave this authority to someone else.

Silence.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It never ceases to amaze me how much wool this organization has pulled over our eyes. I say "our" because most of us were one firm believers. To find out that in the 1930s, they completely disavowed holy spirit as a guide, but angels instead, but then 60 years later disavowed even angels... I mean, wow!

Nice work, Terry.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation uses its bank accounts as its guide and realistically it always has.

The inherent endeavor to acquired power and money has been the core driving force at the center of the WTS.

People get exploited and mentally manipulated which caused insurmountable damage to people's lives but the men at the top of the tower still hold onto the power and control of the organization at a perilous cost to humanity.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The Watchtower Corporation uses its bank accounts as its guide and realistically it always has.

That's following the golden rule, right? Whoever has the gold makes the rules?

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I used to wonder how I could have been so fortunate to have been brought up in the right religion so as to gain everlasting life. Oh how wrong I proved to be. So glad I left and found a new life. Thanks for your time spent on this post. I always enjoy your insight into the borg's teachings. They must think we are stupid. I cannot believe my 4 sisters and countless cousins are still blindly following this organization. Thanks for the posting.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    roblemaddict 25 hours ago

Great research. Although getting a JW to believe M Russell came up with the faithful and wise servant trick might be a stretch.

In 1895, Russell's wife Maria claimed that Russell himself was the figure referred to in the parable at Matthew 24:45-47, though Russell initially declined to accept the personal application of the title, suggesting that it should apply to the Watch Tower rather than its editor.
    Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, Watch Tower Reprints, page 3811, As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 215.

Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, Watch Tower Reprints, page 3811, As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 215.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The Russel photo awaiting rapture on Olive tree in Jerusalem was taken on 24.april 1910 in palestine not on 1. Oct. 1914 (end of genitle times) Why they awaited the rapture to take place before 1914?

THE TEXT itself explains the answer to your question:

The claim is being made that Charles Taze Russell took his followers to the Mount of Olives to await the rapture that didn’t happen.

Of course, Russell certainly did not take the thousands of Bible Students worldwide to the Mount of Olives at any time, nor do I know any reason that Russell would have for going to the Mount of Olives to wait “for an entrance into heaven”.

Bible Students In Palstine, April 1910

Some are using the above picture taken in Palestine in April 1910 with the claim that some of the Bible Students went there to wait for the rapture. The picture appears the September 1, 1910 issue of the Watch Tower.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sorry to be obtuse, but exactly what are the G.B basing their claim of authority on ?

They claim to be Vicars of Christ, this used to be based on a choosing by Christ in 1919, based on 1914.

Though they are making claims now that their full authority is to come to them in the future, surely their present claimed authority is based on 1914/1919 still ?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    Phizzy 3 hours ago

Sorry to be obtuse, but exactly what are the G.B basing their claim of authority on ?

1, Maria Russell thought up a new way to authorize the work of her husband, C.T. Russell and make him part of a prophetic fulfillment of scripture by offering the "faithful and wise servant" parable as a prophecy and doctrine.

2. J.F.Rutherford transferred this (now) Doctrine to himself as a kind of Apostolic Succession. He further enlarged / defined the "powers" granted to him by virtue of holding this prophetic title (FDS). The Judge said being the FDS conferred all power over Jehovah's organization. He had this voted on and guess who was granted the status of FDS with superpowers? It was claimed at the time (now revoked) Jesus had inspected the WTorg and handed everything over.

3. Nathan Knorr+ Fred Franz tag-teamed the FDS slot after squeezing out non-anointed Hayden Covington (Rutherford's choice as his successor). Knorr and Franz created a hierarchy and called it a Theocracy deriving authority cracy directly from the Theos (Jehovah).

4. Knorr and Franz screwed the pooch with false 1975 fiasco and the leadership of the Watchtower Society was wrested away by the legal department (seeing in advance a certainty of failure) to protect Watchtower assets from lawsuits. This was only possible because Knorr had changed the need for a unanimous vote into a 2/3 majority vote.

5. The Governing Body is split off from the legal / corporate running of the Org.**

In the year 2000, Watchtower Society formed three new non-profit corporations to run the Society's operations in the United States.
    These corporations are:

1. The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses - coordinate all service (i.e., proselytic) activities, including door-to-door proselytism, circuit and district conventions, etc.
    2. The Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses - coordinate the activities of those involved in full-time service, including pioneers, missionaries, and circuit and district overseers.
    3. Kingdom Support Services, Inc. - control construction of all new Kingdom Halls and other facilities, and hold the titles to all Society-owned vehicles.

By creating a larger number of non-profit corporations, the Watchtower Society can - should it face such a situation in the future - move its asset to a corporation that is not currently fighting a lawsuit or under governmental judgment, thus making it more difficult for complainants to collect on judgments against the Society.

This particular strategy was utilized by the Church of Scientology when a judgment for $2.5 million was rendered against it in 1986. In 1997 the plaintiffs won an amended judgment in which they "proved to the Court's satisfaction that the Church of Scientology had conducted a pattern of systematically shuffling their assets between various Church owned or affiliated corporate entities to avoid payment"

Furthermore, while the Governing Body no longer serves on the Board, they still control who is selected for the Board. Not only do they influence the selection of candidates for election to the Board, but they also select the voting members of the Watchtower Society corporation (up to 500 individuals) who vote upon the candidates. Therefore, while the Governing Body no longer serves on the Board, they oversee and coordinate the entire process of determining who is selected for the Board of Directors. They will perform a similar function in the selection of directors for the subsidiary corporations.

Second, it is important to remember that the Board of Directors is only involved with the business activities of the Society; all doctrine is still formulated by the Governing Body. Therefore, unless the Board of Directors stages some form of a coup in Brooklyn (which, even if such an event were to occur, would be unlikely to receive the support of rank-and-file Jehovah's Witnesses), the Board is still subject to the Governing Body. The Governing Body can still change (or refuse to change) doctrine, thereby defining the parameters within which the Board of Directors must work.

(see in depth: http://www.watchman.org/articles/jehovahs-witnesses/jehovahs-witnesses-reorganize-the-watchtower-society/)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit