Hypocritical Tyndale video

by neat blue dog 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

At a recent midweek meeting, a short documentary about translator William Tyndale was shown. It begins with this statement about his death:

"His crime? Tyndale struggled to reconcile the teachings of the Church with his own study of the Bible."

Fun fact: The exact same "crime" results in the same thing among Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in figurative death, or disfellowshipping.

• saorean
    saorean

Good point.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Good point . Reformers and independent thinkers have always been persecuted by those in authority. Nobody likes those who criticise them and power gives the ability to denounce and sometimes crush them

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I remember, identifying such hypocrisy when I was "in"; however, I didn’t understand at the time how serious it actually was. I’d go on believing that such small harms were offset by all the “good fruits” the watchtower was doing.

This flawed reasoning collapsed after I read Raymond Franz’s books. It helped me understand that, in order of priority, one should first live with these values and then preach to others about it. Hence, preaching, building and organizing congregations are not “good fruits” in and of themselves. The Pharisees were doing the same things and Jesus called them out as hypocrites.

The fruits are how the members of that religion live their day to day lives. How they display love, charity, etc.

That is when I realized that such hypocrisy was very, very serious. I could not pass this down to my kids and I left.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

SL, great statement, couldn't agree more!

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Wow. Physician, heal thyself.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I am sure they would burn us at stake if they could or throw rocks

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

They made a statement to that effect decades ago, about how 'unfortunately' there is a limit on what they can do to apostates.

• skin
    skin
    road to nowhere
    road to nowhere5 minutes ago

I am sure they would burn us at stake if they could or throw rocks

That has been said at meetings, but then say that because they are under law it can not be done.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember the unofficial idea that Tyndale was, essentially, a Jehovah's Witness. I think in actual fact, he'd distance himself from Watchtower... to put it mildly.

That has been said at meetings, but then say that because they are under law it can not be done.

Yes, there was always some "comedian" JW in the audience who'd comment about wishing they could stone us to death or something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit