Transferring Congregations

by optimisticskeptic 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• optimisticskeptic
    optimisticskeptic
    What is included in the publisher cards and other information when you transfer from one congregation to another? I was privately reproved and may be moving to a congregation where there are brothers I rather not know why I was privately reproved. Is the fact I was privately reproved visible but not the reason why? I heard the reason why can be sealed or not known, just the fact you were privately reproved. Thanks for any help/info you can provide!
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The elders will do as they please. We had a family movie in and the wife was outed in the letter sent with them for having a big mouth, a gossip. Even though she was never reproved for it, that was in there. Don't count on a clean escape. Anyone hate you? They will totally trash you.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

There is a 99% chance they will include the private reproof and what it was for in the letter if it's been less than 5 years.

• Done
    Done

And your private reproof wasnt. The elders told their wifes who told the car group as the story snowballed into something worse than it was

• freddo
    freddo

How long ago was the P.R?

The Service Committee will decide what to write and may well consult the judicial committee or the whole body for input - certainly your group overseer.

If you have all "privileges" back and you move a good year afterwards you might get away with no mention if you have been a "good boy/girl".

I wouldn't discount a "not so discreet" phone call from CoBE to CoBE as well, mind.

3 years is "normal".

If you are "irritating" the elders - simply by sparodic meeting attendance or not complying with their demands then anything up to 5 years will earn you a dishonourable mention in any letter!

And no, you cannot demand a copy or sight of it and the receiving body - who will have it read to all of them - will be instructed to discard it once done.

Nice eh?

• tiki
    tiki

Elders from both congs meet and go through the list and give them the lowdown on the pubs. They have to know who to watch...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Nasty people with nasty rules. But I've got an idea. How about just approaching one of your current elders and saying this:

"Can I talk with you please? You know I was reproved for [........] a while ago? Well I may be moving congregations soon and I wanted to ask the elders from this congregation if you would not mention the reproof to the new congregation. It happened a while ago now, the matter is behind me and I would rather forget it. It would really help me emotially and spiritually if the elders could reassure me this matter is in the past and I don't need to think about it in the new congregation. Thank you for listening to my concern."

Who knows, they might appreciate the candour. And if not they are Pharisaical idiots who would likely have gossiped about you anyway.

• George One Time
    George One Time

I remember that you have the right to see your "letter of recommendation" that is sent to the next congregation. When I was an elder, we even showed it to someone who requested the letter. However.... that doesn't mean that there is no oral communication beside this letter...

• George One Time
    George One Time

It was always very interesting to read those letters that were sent to the next congregation. One expression I read in it for instance was "church people mentality" - not a compliment!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

What's included in the letter will be totally at the elders discretion. These guys arnt trained in how to write proper letters like say a HR manager or a teacher. All it would take it one incompetent elder to spill the beans on all your private details.

In short - it depends on the elders you have. Although if i were you I'd state implicitly that you wish them not to disclose the reason for the reproof. If the matter is supposed to be settled with Jehovah then why dig it up? Ask to see the letter before it's sent.

However, whatever it was, count on it that the entire body of elders will know the in's and out's of what you did - as will their wives, likely their kids and certainly the elders wives friends. I'm speaking from experience as a former elders son in law. We knew the details about Judicial Committee's, reproves, spiritual estimations of congregation members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit