Was Jesus and Mary Magdeline married?

by Victorian sky 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Okay don't pelt me with stones for asking and nobody laugh. For those of us who still believe in the Bible - I recently read the novel, "The Da Vinci Code". Great work of fiction but I was wondering if anyone ever heard of the plot's basis. That Mary Magdeline was really the wife of Jesus and they had a child. That the Catholic church killed off The Knights Templars and the Priory of Sion members to keep the secret quiet. That along with being his wife, Jesus left Mary in a high position of spiritual authority and that women did teach in the congregation because of Mary's status. That her remains are the Holy Grail that historians seek and not the chalice of Christ. That in order to solidify the power structure of the church, Mary was vilified I know it's only a book, very entertaining I might add, but do any of you think it could be true? And if it is could Jesus still be the Messiah?

• Hamas
    Hamas

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAA

alt

.... sorry.

Well maybe it is true ! Who knows ? You hear conflicting stories concerning Jesus all the time; some people even think that he survived the crucifixion and went out into the heart of asia where he carried out his ministry, to places such as India, where some say he died.

Sounds to me like you can't really trust anybodys version of events. Concerning this story, it is interesting to note that the Orthodox Church decided upon the final 66 books of the bible by discarding others; including the testimony of Mary Magdalene ! If this is true that Jesus married Mary, I think that would blow the idea of him being the Messiah straight out of the window ! Why ? Because every idea that is presented in the Bible would just crumble.... the idea of 'all scripture being inspired by God' and the idea that Jesus was a simple man who died in a simple life. This story means that the whole New Testament is false, and that Jesus was responsible for spreading lies concerning his life.

Without the Bible, there is no Jesus. People place trust in him because they beleive the bible. You can't say he is the messiah if you dont believe in the Bible, because the bible is the only thing that points to him being Messiah ! Therefore, this story is not backed up by scripture; hence it is either false; or as false as the Greek scriptures.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy Vic! No I haven't read the book, but I have heard the theory before. There was a very interesting program once on the History Channel about this very subject. If I remember correctly, the Knights Templar were a very powerful and very secret organization until one day the Pope (don't remember which one) ordered them disbanded. They refused and made a last stand at a castle in southern France. They were all slaughtered by the Pope's army, but there was, and is, quite a lot of mystery surrounding them and what led to their demise.

Supposedly there were survivors who kept the secrets of the Knights, and those descendents formed Freemasonry. Also, supposedly, the Knights were descendents from Christ himself, or at the very least knew where the Holy Grail was.

I don't know personally belive they had anything to do with Jesus, but from what I remember from the program so many of their documents were destroyed we know very little about them, so it does make for interesting speculation.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I have never read the book you mention, but Ihave read the idea that Jesus and Mary were married or at the least living in "Lust" even one of the gnostic gospels suggests this idea by the apostles mentioning that Jesus loved Mary more then them, and his reply was he loved her differently, not more. I also have read a study about the place you mentioned in France and it is quite unknown what actually happened there I have a site with the report bookmarked on my home PC, I will look it up and post it here. There is also another theory that suggests that Jesus moved to Babylon after the cruxifiction, and that he really didn't die he was only knocked out and was revived by his followers, also another theory is that it was not Jesus that was killed it was his brother Judas Thomas that actually died, and that they were identical twins. There is a lot of real mystery surrounding this Jesus, and what really happened. The main reason is that not one single Historian ever wrote about him during his lifetime, All writings came quite a few years later, even the gospels at their earliest suggested date of writing were in the later 50's all the way up to the first part of the second century. The first istorian to mention hiim didn't write until around 90ad. So most of the real story of Jesus is lost to us forever.

Seedy

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hey VS,

I just finished 'The DaVinci Code' and I thought it was great! I even looked up pictures of the Last Supper to check out some of Dan Brown's descriptions and lo and behold it does indeed look like a woman sitting next to Jesus. The points Brown puts forth in the book are very compelling and so well researched it really makes you think. My personal belief is that the Church recrafted events to give itself more power.

As a Pagan the idea of the sacred feminine makes a lot of sense to me and the teachings of the Church go against natural law, but that's just me. I recommend the book to anyone and in fact I reviewed it on a Pagan list I'm on.

Silverleaf

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun
    My personal belief is that the Church recrafted events to give itself more power.

I agree, and on this basis I believe the aforementioned scenario is just as possible as any other scenario.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Interesting, thanks for sharing your viewpoints. Silverleaf, you're a pagan? How do you personally define that? And what list did you get the book from? Just from the novel alone, I had no idea how 'pagan' everything was, and I thought the WTS was just paranoid (which they are) about stupid little things being pagan, if only they knew! I looked up a picture of Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and I was shocked, I never noticed the woman sitting beside Jesus or the menacing gesture Peter was making towards her. I'm going to do research on the books of the bible that were voted upon at the Council of Nicea, I know the WTS has mentioned the council before but they've never said a peep about the Bible being voted on by man, hmmm I wonder why?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I remember a thread not so long ago discussing a book that maintained Jesus was gay. Now they've got him married to Mary Magdalene! Then there was the Passover Plot and the Lost Years of Jesus. Wonder what more surprises concerning Jesus await us?

• garybuss
    garybuss

This sounds like the thesis of, Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the book, The Messianic Legacy, both by Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, Richard Leigh.

In my opinion these two books are required reading for serious students of history and philosophy. The possibilities these two works offer for consideration is difficult to dismiss. I rate them both very high. They do need to be read in the order they were written since they build. GaryB

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hey VS,

You wrote: Interesting, thanks for sharing your viewpoints. Silverleaf, you're a pagan? How do you personally define that? And what list did you get the book from?

I started out studying Wicca almost two years ago and realized it made a lot more sense to me than anything I had ever been taught before. After a lot of research I consider myself a Pagan Universalist. I celebrate the Wiccan sabbats and the pagan aspects of the Christian holidays they correspond to. I have a pagan view of life - it's to be enjoyed and celebrated. Our souls are eternal and life and death are part of a neverending cycle.

I got the book from a mail order book club and I really had no idea what it was about when I ordered it. I thought it was just a regular mystery novel that looked interesting. It blew me away. I reviewed it for a Pagan list I'm on and it's sparked a bit of a discussion. We have a Druid, a Christian witch, a Buddhist, a Muslim, a couple of eclectic Pagans and a Jedi.

You also wrote: Just from the novel alone, I had no idea how 'pagan' everything was, and I thought the WTS was just paranoid (which they are) about stupid little things being pagan, if only they knew! I looked up a picture of Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and I was shocked, I never noticed the woman sitting beside Jesus or the menacing gesture Peter was making towards her. I'm going to do research on the books of the bible that were voted upon at the Council of Nicea, I know the WTS has mentioned the council before but they've never said a peep about the Bible being voted on by man, hmmm I wonder why?

It gives one a lot of food for thought, doesn''t it?

Silverleaf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit