Did you ever think about being persecuted?

by Funchback 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

James Mixon,

Not me but my kids had nightmares.

Kind of makes me wonder how many children saw that video on JW.org which showed the jack-booted UN police approach them with a small child amongst the adults. The music rose to a crescendo but the final action left out to increase the suspense.

What would be going through the imagination of the child watching that video? Were those UN police about to kill any of the Witnesses?

Even more subtle things like the illustration of a girl with a scared look on her face in a meeting being held in a basement. Children can pick up on that sort of thing.

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in a house with a non-jw pedophile and an alcoholic mother. I did not need to worry about outside persecutors.

• schnell
    schnell

Heartbreaking, blondie. I am so sorry.

I grew up being warned about the Big GT/A, and yet I grew up with all the news about Rwanda, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan. Even today, I struggle to rationalize how an American religion can talk so much about tribulations (who the hell else uses that word so often?) when Yemen and Syria have been embroiled in civil war for years now.

But, my old friends don't see that. Nope, nope, they almost look forward to being persecuted...

My mom texted me, asked where I'll be "when we are persecuted". I told her, "Probably bringing my mom and brother food and stuff until you decide it's okay to come out."

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Schnell,

My mom texted me, asked where I'll be "when we are persecuted". I told her, "Probably bringing my mom and brother food and stuff until you decide it's okay to come out."

That's a good one schnell.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I'm James Mixon's son and writing my thoughts for my father:

I, vividly, remember sitting in the Kingdom Hall on a Thursday night, listening to speakers scare us with tales of persecution in Mozambique and Malawi - Beheadings with machetes, rape of women and children, and executions of adult males. We were told it was due to Witnesses being "faithful", but, in hindsight, with a more realistic view of the world and history, it obviously had more to do with ethnic cleansing and tribal war. Funny, that they could equate the viciousness of a third-world Country with what we could expect, as Witnesses, in America.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Village Idiot - "It's amusing how the Witnesses believe that Armageddon is around the corner but they leave out the Great Tribulation which is supposed to be when they're tortured."

Yeah, they kinda gloss over that stuff these days.

Gosh, I wonder why? :smirk:

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

By other jws, yes, and I was, called the gossip mill.

Blondie, this is so on point! The gossiping that goes around in congregations, the negative, ill-intended gossip and character assassination that goes on is just insane. You are right, that is the real persecution.

• Life is to short 2
    Life is to short 2

Evil is all I can say. I to had nightmares, I one teacher grab me and force my hand over my heart, another shook me so hard I thought my neck would snap. I was 7. I look back and just can't understand it. I was a kid, how could an adult a teacher be so mean to a child who is in a cult?

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit