Did you ever think about being persecuted?

by Funchback 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Funchback
    Funchback

I was introduced to the JW religion at the age of 7. I can't recall when I was taught about having to suffer persecution in the so-called last days, but I do remember thinking that I would crumble under pressure.

As I entered my young adult years, I imagined how governments would persecute us. I had thoughts of being tortured for information and then how I would say anything to the torturer just to stop the pain and then be labeled a modern-day Judas, missing out on everlasting life.

The JW way of life and expectations are both scary and unrealistic.

I am glad I have canceled Armageddon. Also, if I should ever be tortured for some belief or principle, I shall remain strong until the end. My love for my family is real and, for them, nothing will make me crumble.

I realize nowadays that I never fully believed in the tenets of the JWs. I never really felt true love from most of my ex-spiritual family. And those who I felt really loved me have, fortunately, quit the religion.

Good day to all!

• doddle
    doddle

I remember as a younger kid when I was learning about the Great Tribulation and how badly persuected we would be on those last days; it frightened me beyond anything else. I was terrified and had nightmares of me and my family getting killed, tortured and hunted down by people of the "world". As I grew up I began to accept that it would happen at a certain point and that it would be for the best, as Jehovah proclaimed it. I no longer accept it anymore and have since drifted away from the religion as well.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

What doddle said and more. As a child my first four years in school was a living hell. My teachers abused me beyond belief. Just because my parents were JW and I had to do what they told me. After all if I did't listen I would be killed at Armageddon. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I think that is why many who are born-ins suffer with some form of PTSD. Then on top of all that I aways felt I would die at Armageddon for being so bad. At this time I was still a small child. Mental abuse from the Borg is unforgivable just as bad as child sexual abuse. Still Totally ADD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It wasn't until long after I was adult that I realized growing up a JW had made me a far more anxious and fearful kid than I ever should have been.

The prospect of that happening to my own kids made me sick to my stomach.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I can't recall when I was taught about having to suffer persecution in the so-called last days, but I do remember thinking that I would crumble under pressure.

I grew up with a lot of ideas about what that means. Now I think that that's a way for the WT to divert attention from the real persecution. In school and by the community I grew up in, I was quite persecuted for being a JW. There was so much bullying and disrespect from teachers and pretty much anyone who wanted to say something.

Yet, that's never addressed in congregations, other than indoctrinate you to believe that those things are good and a sign that the end is near.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ scratchme...

It's easy for a leadership who are completely insulated from "persecution"...

...to expect young bully victims to regard their predicament as "martyrdom".

Not so easy for the young victims, though; odds are they'll grow up thinking God wants 'em to be picked on.

Even my devout JW Mom realized this.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes it frightened me. I can remember my mother saying that people who can control their breathing were the most successful at coping with torture. Don't you think this cult is evil for driving people that crazy!

• blondie
    blondie

By other jws, yes, and I was, called the gossip mill.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Not me but my kids had nightmares. It makes me ill thinking about what we put our kids through. Yes one day you mom may be raped, I may be beheaded....It's amazing that you adults today that were raised in the borg have come out it sane, evil spirits, watching your mother and sister being raped, no place to hide and bad nightmare for a child. What the hell was wrong with us, what kind of parents were we...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

It's amusing how the Witnesses believe that Armageddon is around the corner but they leave out the Great Tribulation which is supposed to be when they're tortured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit