Baptized niece crowned prom queen. Could her dad loose his MS appt?

by StarTrekAngel 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111
    A ministerial servant father, a pioneer mother...and she still got to go to prom! Good for her!
  • BeautifulMind
    BeautifulMind

I also am not familiar with how Hispanic congs. operate. I was not really one for the dances/proms, but when I was coming up - I lived up north, a couple hours from Bethel -there was a couple of my friends in my congregation who planned to go to the prom together. The had their dresses ready, their limo, very excited. Well...word got back to the elders and literally 1 week before the prom they had a local needs talk on the evils of proms and why parents shouldn't allow their kids to go. So their moms felt guilty and took back their permission and they were not allowed to go. I felt so bad for them.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

A ministerial servant father, a pioneer mother...and she still got to go to prom!

Do you think this is "typical" of most "spiritual" JW families? I'm shocked and I'll be surprised if they don't lose their privileges, or least get a firm "talking to" in the backroom.

But I do think it demonstrates the thinking of many current active JWs. They are moderating in their thinking and in the choices they are making in life. (Thus we have the RC demanding LOYALTY!)  Most just would not allow something so "public" as they are all concerned about appearances. If she'd have gone to the prom, and there would have not been the notoriety of being crowned queen, no one would have heard about it and no one would have cared.

It's all about appearances.

Doc

• Londo111
    Londo111

Not typical at all when I was in. I remember at an assembly a young lady gave her experience of wrestling with the desire to go, but ultimately not going. It's sad looking back.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

I permitted my daughter to attend her end of high school dance etc .(2008)

7 months later we were both selected to partake in a drama and I also had a DC [RC] part on the same DC- some arse-hole complained that I had done this - re the dance [he actually wanted his daughter to have the part on this Drama ] and I received a phone call one night from the CO - 2 weeks before the DC telling me that both my daughter and I had been summarily removed from the drama and that my 15 min assignment on the DC would be handled by A.N. Other - My elder body knew that I had permitted her to attend the Prom and had not seen any issue in the matter ........???

My daughter subsequently removed herself from the Borg and interestingly another sister who was her counterpart in this Drama, DA-ed about 4 months later !

I still have a punch in the teeth lined up for the arse-hole in question - It will happen one day !!!

• talesin
    talesin

Your daughter is lucky to have you as a parent. Screw the elders - as Oscar Wilde said, "The best revenge is to live life well." Leave the WTS behind, enjoy freedom, and never look back. Let her know that 'it's okay to be YOU'............. love her madly, deeply, truly, and without reservation.

"SNAPS" to her, and to you for supporting her. : D

I permitted my daughter to attend her end of high school dance etc .(2008)
    7 months later we were both selected to partake in a drama and I also had a DC [RC] part on the same DC- some arse-hole complained that I had done this - re the dance [he actually wanted his daughter to have the part on this Drama ] and I received a phone call one night from the CO - 2 weeks before the DC telling me that both my daughter and I had been summarily removed from the drama and that my 15 min assignment on the DC would be handled by A.N. Other - My elder body knew that I had permitted her to attend the Prom and had not seen any issue in the matter ........???
    My daughter subsequently removed herself from the Borg and interestingly another sister who was her counterpart in this Drama, DA-ed about 4 months later !
    I still have a punch in the teeth lined up for the arse-hole in question - It will happen one day !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit